Pit Bike Club

Pit Bike Club (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   how do you clear a flooded engine? (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78042)

Acidman 02-03-2012 03:38 PM

how do you clear a flooded engine?

Hi all,

Whats the best method for clearing out a flooded engine?

The bike is a husqvarna wr 125 2 stroke.

Left the fuel tap on accidently when bringing it home in the back of the van, and now wont start.

I took the spark plug out last night and kicked it over a good few times, started but died after 5 secs or so, still sounding flooded.

Should i lay my bike down on its side to try clear out the carb? or do i need to fully remove my carb and check to see if the float is operating correctly?

midwood #96 02-03-2012 03:41 PM

Re: how do you clear a flooded engine?

Try Turning the fuel tap off mate and kicking it with the spark plug in untill it starts up let it run out of fuel and stop then turn the fuel tap on and go from there hope this helps

Ash

Acidman 02-03-2012 03:48 PM

It doesnt start up at all mate, the only way i could get it to start (briefly) was to take the spark plug out (it was wet and black), kick the bike over 15-20 times to attempt to clear out the head, dry the plug, replace and fire up.

There still seems to be fuel in the carb, and possibly some sitting in my exhaust?

swiss18 02-03-2012 03:54 PM

Take the plug out and kick it over a few times. Dry the plug off but don't put it back in straight away. Take the carb off give it a good clean out and screw the air fuel screw in all the way and turn it out 1 and a half times then put it all back together and kick it over a few times should be fine. Might need to slightly adjust air fuel mixture again afterwards to get it spot on but it should run after that

Acidman 02-03-2012 03:59 PM

Thanks bud ill give that a go, it was running perfect before we put it in the van to transport it, should i still adjust the mixture screw?

swiss18 02-03-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidman (Post 762231)
Thanks bud ill give that a go, it was running perfect before we put it in the van to transport it, should i still adjust the mixture screw?

I would mate if its flooding its running far to rich. But also check Ur spark. plug and ht lead first as if its not sparking it won't burn the fuel which will also make it look like its flooding. Would check that first to be honest. Take plug out of the head and put it in the ht lead hold it against the engine or frame to earth it then kick it over see if it sparks. If it does the do the things i told u too in my last post.

Acidman 02-03-2012 04:14 PM

I dont think the bike running rich caused the flooding, i believe its to do with transporting it in the van.

I think something has happened in the float bowl (float stuck or something similar) and i think the bowls brimmed over the top and into my engine.

Its recently had a piston rebuild and is running a higher 2 stroke oil mixture than usual to help the rings bed in. Whether this makes a difference or not im unsure.

Acidman 02-03-2012 04:14 PM

Also, i checked the spark when the plug was out and it seems spot on.

ian1 02-03-2012 04:36 PM

just bump start the bike.will start straight off. if problem is flooding:roll:

dannyb 02-03-2012 04:47 PM

You need a new spark plug mate