Pit Bike Club

Pit Bike Club (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Slight worry... red hot exhaust and oil (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/showthread.php?t=20035)

imup4it 08-02-2009 05:46 PM

Slight worry... red hot exhaust and oil

Hi guys,

Just been out to start the bike ive not done it for a week, and it started fine, took a few kicks but it went with the choke on.
after a little bit of hard revving, when i left the throttle it would pop and blow a flame out like a rocket shooting off, and i looked down and the bottom of the exhaust where it comes out of the bottom of the engine on the U it was glowing red! red hot!

so i turned choke off to let it cut out and noticed on the floor a puddle of oil which looks like its come from the breather pipe on the top of the engine?

can any one be of help?
Cheers :thumbs:

Bulldog 08-02-2009 05:50 PM

Re: Slight worry... red hot exhaust and oil

Quote:

Originally Posted by imup4it (Post 218020)
Hi guys,

Just been out to start the bike ive not done it for a week, and it started fine, took a few kicks but it went with the choke on.
after a little bit of hard revving, when i left the throttle it would pop and blow a flame out like a rocket shooting off, and i looked down and the bottom of the exhaust where it comes out of the bottom of the engine on the U it was glowing red! red hot!

so i turned choke off to let it cut out and noticed on the floor a puddle of oil which looks like its come from the breather pipe on the top of the engine?

can any one be of help?
Cheers :thumbs:

For the oil it sounds like you have over filled when doing a oil change?

Glowing exhaust means engine is too hot (Which i belive would be your mixture which can be changed via your carb mixture screw)

Hope this helps :thumbs:

imup4it 08-02-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog (Post 218025)
For the oil it sounds like you have over filled when doing a oil change?

Glowing exhaust means engine is too hot (Which i belive would be your mixture which can be changed via your carb mixture screw)

Hope this helps :thumbs:

funny enough i did a oil change last week and stuck the whole 1litre in?

Mixture is set so the bike idles and does not cut out?

:thumbs:

minimaterix 08-02-2009 05:51 PM

sounds like your running it to lean do a plug test:thumbs:

imup4it 08-02-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minimaterix (Post 218028)

bit sad but what do you mean lean? I.E the mix screw?

and whats a plug test :confused:

ta! :thumbs:

Bulldog 08-02-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imup4it (Post 218026)
funny enough i did a oil change last week and stuck the whole 1litre in?

Mixture is set so the bike idles and does not cut out?

what is the engine oil recomendation ? some engines are 700ml ect, on my KXF its 1.2L thats with a filter change...
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimaterix (Post 218028)

Incase you dont know imup4it lean means too much air to fuel (usualy means your mixture screw is too far in :thumbs:

Bulldog 08-02-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imup4it (Post 218029)
bit sad but what do you mean lean? I.E the mix screw?

and whats a plug test :confused:

ta! :thumbs:

I think despise posted it up on the workshop a while back about plug testing...

I'll have a look in the workshop to find it :thumbs:

imup4it 08-02-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldog (Post 218031)
what is the engine oil recomendation ? some engines are 700ml ect, on my KXF its 1.2L thats with a filter change...

Incase you dont know imup4it lean means too much air to fuel (usualy means your mixture screw is too far in :thumbs:

Ok, um ive got a lifan 125 engine, and just stuck the whole 1L in, it was 4 stroke off road oil, silkolene cost me £7

Also if i adjust the mix screw it cuts out? would it be best to take it to the bike shop and get a carb setup done? it was fine the other week when out on it, maybe its because its cold and not been started for 6 days?

Bulldog 08-02-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imup4it (Post 218034)
Ok, um ive got a lifan 125 engine, and just stuck the whole 1L in, it was 4 stroke off road oil, silkolene cost me £7

Also if i adjust the mix screw it cuts out? would it be best to take it to the bike shop and get a carb setup done? it was fine the other week when out on it, maybe its because its cold and not been started for 6 days?

take it out and run it for a good few hours (As in at a track/designated area) and see how it goes :thumbs:

teapot 08-02-2009 05:58 PM

starting it and just revving the pant out of its gonna cause things to get pretty warm, especially with the choke on:thumbs: