Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Club General > Off Topic Discussion

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
atticus
Super Moderator

Bike: Sold up!
Motorcycle Laws

Basically, this is for all those that do not fully understand the laws surrounding motorcycle road riding.

At 16:

Compulsary Basic Training(CBT), for a 50cc scooter only (geared or automatic).

17 - 21:

Compulsary Basic Training(CBT), for a 125cc motorcycle or scooter.
With only a CBT you are restricted to 14bhp maximum.

Category A1 license - Light Motorcycle License. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75cc and 120cc. If successful the full license will allow the rider to ride any Light Motorcycle without L-Plates up to a maximum capacity of 125cc with a maximum power output of no greater than 11kW. (14.6bhp.) If the test is taken on an automatic or semi-automatic machine i.e.Honda C90, or Scooter, then the license will be endorsed with a restriction which will limit the rider to ride only automatic and semi automatic machines up to 125cc as above.

Category A license (Restricted) - The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 120cc and 125cc. If successful, the full license allows the rider to ride any bike without L plates up to a maximum power output of no greater than 25kW (33bhp), for two years. After the two-years the license is automatically changed to allow you to ride any size bike. Again, if the test is taken on an automatic or semi-automatic machine then the license will be endorsed with a restriction limiting the rider to drive only automatic and semi-automatic machines up to the power limits as above.

Training and testing for Category A1 and Category A (restricted) are the only options available for learner riders under 21 years of age. The effect of this legislation therefore means that for young riders, no one under the age of nineteen will be able to ride a motorcycle more powerful than the 33 bhp limit. (Unless they passed a test before 1st January 1997.)

21+:
You can choose to do either, providing you have been through your CBT;

Category A license (Un-restricted) - The practical test must be taken on a machine with a power output no less than 35kW. (46.6 bhp) to give access to any sized machine. This "Direct Access" option is only available to candidates over 21 years of age.

Note: Before undergoing any license you must first have completed a CBT.

Category P - Moped Entitlement. If you have a full car licence and you passed your car test before 1st February 2001, then you will have Category P on your Licence. This means you can ride a moped without L plates, and carry pillion passengers without having to take a test or CBT. However if you passed your car test after 1st February 2001, then you will have to take CBT which will last the life of the Licence, you can then ride a moped without L plates and carry pillion passengers.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any areas as these are the laws as I understand them so I believe them to be correct. Eventually, this will be 100% correct, when it is I will closed and sticky the thread so that there is no more dispute.
atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
Lewis218
PBC Veteran

Bike: Shineray XY50
Re: Motorcycle Laws

Thanks
Lewis218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post
17 - 21:

Compulsary Basic Training(CBT), for a 125cc motorcycle or scooter.
With only a CBT you are restricted to 15bhp maximum.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any areas as these are the laws as I understand them so I believe them to be correct.
actully its 14bhp.
And at 17 you can do an "A" catogory licence (aka restricted full licence) this restricts you for 2 years of 125cc upto 33bhp for 2 years, after this 2 year period you can ride any size cc after the 2 year period or if you become 21 years of age before the 2 years then you can ride any size cc.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any areas as these are the laws as I understand them so I believe them to be correct.
Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
rsphill

Bike: Zongshen 125

And also when you are over 21 you can do direct access which allows you to ride any bike, for this you do not need a CBT but it helps!!!
rsphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
Dibble la

Bike: stomp140x lifan

do u only have 2 do cbt once? is it easy?
also on the 16 one u put has 2 be a
Quote:
50cc scooter
but it doesnt have 2 be a scooter cos u can get a shineray for example (i know that u know that)
also u know wen ur 17 and ur restricted to 14bhp, is that flywheel or rear wheel?
Dibble la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
madboiadz

Bike: trickstar 125

can u get a thumpstar road ripper 125 for your first bike??
madboiadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
dan-mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by madboiadz View Post
can u get a thumpstar road ripper 125 for your first bike??
if your 17 you can
dan-mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
atticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despise View Post
actully its 14bhp.
And at 17 you can do an "A" catogory licence (aka restricted full licence) this restricts you for 2 years of 125cc upto 33bhp for 2 years, after this 2 year period you can ride any size cc after the 2 year period or if you become 21 years of age before the 2 years then you can ride any size cc.

Thanks for correcting the hp restriction, I knew the rough figure.
Pink: I had already written that, it's an A1 license. It does restrict you to 33bhp but not to a 125.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
atticus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsphill View Post
And also when you are over 21 you can do direct access which allows you to ride any bike, for this you do not need a CBT but it helps!!!
This thread is about laws not course's though. You can take a DAS course when you are under 21 too, just you will be restricted as normal. The CBT is also included in the DAS, it takes up the first day.
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble la View Post
do u only have 2 do cbt once? is it easy?
also on the 16 one u put has 2 be a
but it doesnt have 2 be a scooter cos u can get a shineray for example (i know that u know that)
A CBT last for 2 years, as does your theory (If you havnt past your test). Once it has expired you must take it again.
Yes I know it can be geared and ill add that too
Old 04-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
SDF
Burning Rubber!

Bike: 110 stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsphill View Post

Not actually true.... You do need a CBT irrespective of being over 21 to sit a DAS course

everyone must complete a CBT thats why its called a CBT...
"Compulsory Basic Training"

Because it is COMPULSORY.....
SDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m2r# bigger wheels#