Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > The Workshop

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 29-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base
Re: Exhaust gasket? How to tell if the exhaust is blowing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt#79 View Post
You should be able to tell by the sound which sounds horrible to the normal 'tune' she plays
very true, although I didnt mention this for a few reasons:

even if slightly lean may still run ok without exhaust glowing etc.... but with rasied temps. You would think popping would be a give away but with high lift cams and longer durations the overlap period is stretched making it pop anyway slightly especially on WOT to shut or vise verser with interuption stutter if too fast and low rpm.

2nd reason, most people wouldnt take any notice anyway and compensate with overly rich carb setting and jets making it run and act normal even with an exhaust leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yt#79 View Post
I would have though that is more to do with the internal pressure and the fact that metal to metal wont create a tight seal, even if perfectly straight. A gasket fits in tightly between the 2 surfaces thus creating a perfect seal.
excatly that too

although if the 2 surfaces were perfectly flat the heat from the exhaust would make the metals expand making a perfect seal anyway I would of thought in an ideal world
Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
mysterious_rider
PBC Legend

Bike: z50,mk2 golf.
Re: Exhaust gasket? How to tell if the exhaust is blowing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despise View Post
very true, although I didnt mention this for a few reasons:

even if slightly lean may still run ok without exhaust glowing etc.... but with rasied temps. You would think popping would be a give away but with high lift cams and longer durations the overlap period is stretched making it pop anyway slightly especially on WOT to shut or vise verser with interuption stutter if too fast and low rpm.

2nd reason, most people wouldnt take any notice anyway and compensate with overly rich carb setting and jets making it run and act normal even with an exhaust leak

excatly that too

although if the 2 surfaces were perfectly flat the heat from the exhaust would make the metals expand making a perfect seal anyway I would of thought in an ideal world

Yes I think it was Aprilia that made their engine cases on one of their models gasketless as they were machined perfect so didn't leak oil. Pretty cool really.
mysterious_rider is offline   Reply With Quote