Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > Other Bikes > Road Legal

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
the-player

Bike: 110cc
Re: Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

when u got ur full bike licence u can have any cc bike you like as long as it is restricted to 33hp until ur 21 i think

however the best bike to h save at 17 is a high powered 125cc two stroke off road bike with a 6 speed really, because when you restrict it you lose about 2-3 hp which is barely noticable, and you still have a pretty quick bike

hope tht helps
the-player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
atticus
Super Moderator

Bike: Sold up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-player View Post
when u got ur full bike licence u can have any cc bike you like as long as it is restricted to 33hp until ur 21 i think
The restriction is only two years long. Mine will be off when I'm 19
While on this restriction the best bike to get is a 600 v-twin imo, its power is low down so it is hardly affected at all.
atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
weller2005

Bike: 150 stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBikeClub View Post
In the United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland), the term Compulsory Basic Training (abbreviated to CBT) is a preliminary vehicular training course which must be completed by learner-civilians wishing to ride a motorcycle or moped unaccompanied on the road, and remains valid for 2 years upon completion. It was introduced on 1 December 1990 as a means of reducing accidents on the road caused by inexperienced drivers by reviewing aspects of riding both on and off the road with a qualified motorcycle instructor registered with an Approved Training Body (ATB). If a full car licence was obtained before 1 February 2001 it is not necessary to complete a CBT course to ride a moped.

A test passed on an a bike with automatic transmission will result in a licence for this type of machine only.
In Northern Ireland a driver with a provisional motorbike license, or a full car license may ride a bike up to 125cc on the road while displaying L-plates without the need for compulsory basic training.

Source: Wikipedia
need to add that if you own a full driving licance and passed after a certain date till the present you do a cbt you do not have to display l plates well riding a 50cc only a 125

also could be wrong on this buts shore if you pass on a twist and go you can still ride a geared
weller2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
[jp]

Bike: Fireblade RR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr pepper View Post
i dont have to display looney plates

you better check that again...
you can only not display L plates if you have passed your DAS, or restricted A1.
[jp] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
weller2005

Bike: 150 stomp

right i think that this about sums everyones quistions up and puts every one strate

I have a full car licence, what can I ride?
If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Strangely enough, you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. If you want to ride a motorcycle of over 50cc, up to 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.
What if my full car licence was issued after 1st February 2001?
Then you will need to take Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Once you have completed this course, you will be able to ride a 50cc moped without L plates, until your licence expires at age 70, and you will also be able to ride a motorcycle of up to 125cc with L plates (no passengers allowed) for 2 years from the date you completed the CBT course.
I have a full car licence, do I need to do a theory test and take CBT to get a full motorcycle licence?
Yes. Everyone must take a motorcycle theory test and CBT before they can take the motorcycle practical test. The only exception is for someone who has already passed a Motorcycle or Moped test, and wants to upgrade to a higher power machine.
I have a provisional licence, what can I ride?
With a provisional licence, you are not allowed to ride on the road until you have completed Compulsory Basic Training. Once you have completed the course you can ride a 50cc moped, or if you are 17 years old or over, with category A on your provisional licence, you can ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc. You will also have to display L plates at all times, and you are not allowed to carry passengers or travel on motorways. Your CBT certificate will only be valid for 2 years, so you will need to renew it, or go on to take your full licence before it expires.
I want to ride a big bike, around 600cc, what do I need to do?
To ride a big bike, you will need a full (A) motorcycle licence. To get one of these, first, you need to be over 21 years old, with either a full car licence, or a provisional licence showing Category A. Next, you will need to pass the Motorcycle Theory test (phone 0870 0101372, with your driving licence number, to book.) Then you will need to complete Compulsory Basic training (CBT). Then you can go on to take your Motorcycle Practical Test, which must be taken on a machine of OVER 46.6bhp or 35kw to qualify for the full licence. (if you want to practice for the test on a motorcycle of more than 125cc, you MUST be accompanied by a DSA approved instructor, not just a friend with a full licence.)
I want to ride a big bike, around 600cc, but I'm not 21 years old yet. Is there anything I can do?
Yes! If you are between 17 and 20 years old you can take the restricted licence route. You will need to start with a licence showing provisional Category A, then you need to pass the Motorcycle theory test, complete Compulsory Basic Training, then go on to pass your Practical Motorcycle test on a 125cc machine. Once you have passed, you will have a full category A2 (restricted)
licence, which entitles you to ride any SIZE motorcycle, provided it does not produce more than 33bhp, or 25kw. Many larger motorcycles can be restricted to this power limit, and the good news is that once you have held a full A2 licence for 2 years, regardless of your age) it automatically becomes a full, unrestricted (A) licence and you can ride any motorcycle you fancy.
I took my CBT on a 50cc moped when I was 16 years old. I'm now 17 and I would like to ride a 125cc bike. What do I need to do?
First, check that your licence shows Category A provisional. If so, you can ride a 125cc machine for as long as your CBT certificate lasts. If your licence doesn't have Category A showing, you will need to apply to D.V.L.A Swansea to get it added on. Once you have got your licence back, you will be able to ride a 125cc machine until your CBT certificate expires.

I took my CBT on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?
Yes, provided you comply with the age and engine size/power restrictions mentioned above, the CBT is normally valid for either type of transmission.
I took my full licence test on an automatic scooter. Can I ride a motorcycle with clutch and gears?
A full licence taken on a motorcycle with automatic transmission will only act as a provisional licence for manual bikes, so you will be limited to 125cc with L plates, until you pass a Practical test on a motorcycle with manual transmission.
I'm 16 years old, and I've completed my CBT. Is there a test I can do to ride a bigger bike?
No. You can take a full Moped test, by first passing the theory and then the moped practical test. You would then be entitled to ride without L plates, and carry a passenger, but you would still be limited to 50cc and 30mph.
I have a Full Car licence. Do I need to change it, to add provisional motorcycle entitlement to it, before I can start training for a Motorcycle Licence?
In most cases, no. Normally a full car licence would already have provisional motorcycle entitlement, shown as Category A in the green section of an old style paper licence, or on the counterpart of a photocard licence.( You must still have a valid Compulsory Basic training certificate before riding any motorcycle on the road).
I have a provisional licence, issued a few years ago. Will I need to change it or renew it before I start training for a Motorcycle Licence?
Probably yes! Many older provisional licences had a 2 year limit on Category A, motorcycle entitlement. The good news is that the 2 year limit no longer applies, but you MUST have it renewed by D.V.L.A Swansea if it has expired, otherwise you will not be able to ride anything bigger than a 50cc moped, even if you have a valid CBT Certificate. D.V.L.A usually take about 3 weeks to exchange a licence
weller2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #16
atticus
Super Moderator

Bike: Sold up!

I see little problem with the thread already stickied at the top of the forum tbh...
atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #17
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base

Quote:
Originally Posted by [jp] View Post
you better check that again...
you can only not display L plates if you have passed your DAS, or restricted A1.
actually peppers correct
Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
brogan5050
Super King

Bike: road legal pit

actually, you can ride a geared 125 even if you done your cbt on an automatic 50cc.
brogan5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 AM   #19
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan5050 View Post
you can ride a geared 125 even if you done your cbt on an automatic 50cc.
thats true also
Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
lawton46

Bike: trickstar 125

so if i was to get a road legal 125 pitbike...could i just do my CBT and be aloud to ride it seen as im 17?
lawton46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbt