Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > The Workshop

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Jay

Bike: Too many...
First Upgrades/Modifications...

Ok guys, as may know, i recently got myself a used, non-running 125cc pit bike for £30...and after a few little tweaks...got it going!
It is now working extremely well, and hasnt let me down yet...so i think its the time to start modifying it a lil' bit. Now, i dont wanna spend mega buck$, so i created a list of my next (fairly cheap) upgrades, which features:
-Gold Handlebars (bigger than my stock ones)
-Race CDI Unit
-Big Bore Exhaust
-32T Rear Sprocket
...and maybe a new Air Filter??

The handlebars are a definate buy, but my question is...are my other listed upgrades actually any good????

I have been reading up about CDI units, and they seem to have mixed responses...good and bad, so for definate...are they worth the money...and what EXACTLY do they do???

As for the Big Bore exhaust, does it actually have any benefits, performance wise? Also, my bike is really quiet...so how much louder would it be? (examples?)

...And finally, the 32T Rear Sprocket. My bike currently has 14/37 gearing, and is very quick at accelerating...but my Xplorer 110cc has a faster top speed...which leads me to believe that maybe my bike is undergeared? Also, first gear on my bike is pretty useless, so would a smaller rear sprocket improve this? How much more top speed would i gain, and how much acceleration would i lose, with a 32T rear sprocket?

Oh yeah, and about the Air Filter...i currently have a K&N style one fitted, but have noticed that more and more bikes are running with foam air filters now. I run my bike primarily on dusty tracks and grassy (not muddy) fields...so which air filter would best suit my needs...K&N or Foam?

Phew, that was a long post! I realise that most of the information i seek can be found around the internet and forums etc...but i'm just after some definate answers to aid me in choosing my next upgrades (...and i'm a lil' bit lazy, LOL!!).

Thanks for reading all this guys, and i thank you in advance for any replies i may receive!!

Jay

Jay is offline   Reply With Quote