Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > The Workshop

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 29-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
bagheadbaby

Bike: custom made ;D
gear ratio?...

right what size sprockets should i get for the 125cc road legal im making, not too good with gear ratio's aha
bagheadbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
phil.s
PBC Veteran

Bike: self build
Re: gear ratio?...

bigger the front and smaller the rear gives more top end and smaller on the front and biger on the rear gives more bottom end set of speed but you loos top end speed think most road legals run a 17 tooth on the front
phil.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
danny chizz 250cc
Senior

Bike: fit birds :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil.s View Post
bigger the front and smaller the rear gives more top end and smaller on the front and biger on the rear gives more bottom end set of speed but you loos top end speed think most road legals run a 17 tooth on the front
im sure its the other way around coz thay say if you moter out revs top gear u should drop a tooth on the front sprocket
danny chizz 250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
phil.s
PBC Veteran

Bike: self build

if you have a small sprocket on the front and a big one on the rear you will loose top end and gain acceloration. Thats why stunt riders have massive rear sprockets to get the front end up so easy.
phil.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
gregster
Banned

Bike: demx 175cc 4v

Yes smaller at front bigger at back =acceleration!
Yes bigger at front smaller at rear =top speed!
As mentioned if you go to high on gearing then you will lose top end due to the engine not able to pull top gear.

You need to ride your bike in top gear and see if the engine revs out.
If it does then go up on the front or down on back.

If your engine revs don't change much in top gear then you need to go down on the front up at rear.

Changing the front one tooth is the same as changing the back three.
Therefore the rear enables finer tuning of the ratios.

Always try the front first so you can get an easier tune,plus its cheaper and less work.

Ive changed my lads 125 cc pit gearing from 17t-37t to 15t-37t cuz the engine couldn't pull high revs in top gear. With the 17 it did 38mph but with the 15t it does 43mph .

Just play with different front sprokets until you get an average speed then try playing with rears to fine tune.

Example, my yx160 pulls 65+mph on 17t-41t on the road but off road(mx track) I don't get to use top gear.
I went right down to a 14t so I could use all gears,top speed 46mph.

If you want long gears then go high, short n revvy then go low.

For the road it is around the top gear ratio,so just play with the front until you get you fastest top speed. You will need to take into consideration that on some days you may have a strong head wind,if so the engine wouldn't pull higher revs, thus you will by going up n down in third n forth which is a pain in the neck.

So when you do find your top speed you have only two teeth to go up on at the rear to tune that difference.

I hope this helps and remember to try the front first or you will spend to much on rear sprokets.

One last point, if your sprokets or chain are knackered then all will need changing. If so, again get the front sprocket first to sort the gearing then get the others soon after.

Give Adam at PBS I ring on 01789766777 for parts.

Cheers n good luck
gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
realrider
Novice

Bike: 125cc pitbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster View Post
Yes smaller at front bigger at back =acceleration!
Yes bigger at front smaller at rear =top speed!
As mentioned if you go to high on gearing then you will lose top end due to the engine not able to pull top gear.

You need to ride your bike in top gear and see if the engine revs out.
If it does then go up on the front or down on back.

If your engine revs don't change much in top gear then you need to go down on the front up at rear.

Changing the front one tooth is the same as changing the back three.
Therefore the rear enables finer tuning of the ratios.

Always try the front first so you can get an easier tune,plus its cheaper and less work.

Ive changed my lads 125 cc pit gearing from 17t-37t to 15t-37t cuz the engine couldn't pull high revs in top gear. With the 17 it did 38mph but with the 15t it does 43mph .

Just play with different front sprokets until you get an average speed then try playing with rears to fine tune.

Example, my yx160 pulls 65+mph on 17t-41t on the road but off road(mx track) I don't get to use top gear.
I went right down to a 14t so I could use all gears,top speed 46mph.

If you want long gears then go high, short n revvy then go low.

For the road it is around the top gear ratio,so just play with the front until you get you fastest top speed. You will need to take into consideration that on some days you may have a strong head wind,if so the engine wouldn't pull higher revs, thus you will by going up n down in third n forth which is a pain in the neck.

So when you do find your top speed you have only two teeth to go up on at the rear to tune that difference.

I hope this helps and remember to try the front first or you will spend to much on rear sprokets.

One last point, if your sprokets or chain are knackered then all will need changing. If so, again get the front sprocket first to sort the gearing then get the others soon after.

Give Adam at PBS I ring on 01789766777 for parts.

Cheers n good luck
Yet still my 125cc goes over 100mph using 16 in the front and 37 on the rear.
You guys pitbikes are slow
realrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
thugwithissues
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagheadbaby View Post
right what size sprockets should i get for the 125cc road legal im making, not too good with gear ratio's aha
there is no right and wrong really whats right for us may not be right for you due to riding style weight ect do you mean you want the standard ratio's ?
thugwithissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Joe27344
On Stabilizers

Bike: Rfx150, KTM2734

This post makes me wet myself 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Joe27344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:44 PM   #9
pitdogrider
Track Master

Bike: KURZ RT1 Z190
125cc small valve 16/39

125cc big valve 17/39 or 16/37

Tried and tested
pitdogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
Phineas
Novice

Bike: Stomp Z2 140

Just to pour some petrol on the flames...

My road legal yx140 running on 120/70/12s with 17T front 37T rear tops out at 68.34mph (GPS Speedo)

Feels like it will pull more, seriously contemplating an 18T front, does anyone know if it'll fit without grinding the engine casing?

Thanks
Phineas is offline   Reply With Quote