bigdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Dangle_kt
PBC Legend

Re: Clarkey's Pit Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Hi again all,

Few thoughts on bits for super moto spec...
  • Wheels / tyres
  • Crash bobbins
  • Peg sliders
  • Sump catch tray and new sump bolt with ties
  • Hand guards (please recommend me some decents ones!)
  • Oil breather system (any recommendations?)
  • Maybe new forks and swingarm

Let me know what you think and please share any suggestions / critiques!

Matt
looks good

For wheels you are best with Mags, but go mobster if you possibly can, DHZ are seriously crap.

Tyres you want PMT blackfires or slicks for dry, and PMT wets (or dunlops if you like) for wet weather. Only really need wets if you race, cos if its raining why would you ride otherwise

You will need drilled axles for the bobbins

depending on budget you can get on track with half a petrol can cut off and zip tied to your sump guard, but a steel/alu one is alot better

You can just drill your sump bolt, you dont need to buy a new one - it's not hard. Lock wire it to the sump bolt tab that stick out the bottom the engine (drill that too)

I just use the cheap chinese handguards - they will do the job, plenty use them - locktite the bolts they vibrate lose and don't overtighten them in case they strip the cheap alloy.

Oil breather system isn't needed, just route some tubing from the breather to the sump tray and zip tie in place - or into a small bottle if needed - same with the fuel overflow hoses.

I wouldnt mess with forks/swingarm till you know if you need to - its easy to blame the bike for being slow, when actually its the rider. Spend your cash on track time.
Dangle_kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #13
Josh-t
On Stabilizers

Bike: wbp z140

Good progress so far mate , looking really good !
Josh-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
Clarkey
Novice

Bike: YX160

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdom View Post
Nice bike mate...
Thanks pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
looks good

For wheels you are best with Mags, but go mobster if you possibly can, DHZ are seriously crap.

Tyres you want PMT blackfires or slicks for dry, and PMT wets (or dunlops if you like) for wet weather. Only really need wets if you race, cos if its raining why would you ride otherwise

You will need drilled axles for the bobbins

depending on budget you can get on track with half a petrol can cut off and zip tied to your sump guard, but a steel/alu one is alot better

You can just drill your sump bolt, you dont need to buy a new one - it's not hard. Lock wire it to the sump bolt tab that stick out the bottom the engine (drill that too)

I just use the cheap chinese handguards - they will do the job, plenty use them - locktite the bolts they vibrate lose and don't overtighten them in case they strip the cheap alloy.

Oil breather system isn't needed, just route some tubing from the breather to the sump tray and zip tie in place - or into a small bottle if needed - same with the fuel overflow hoses.

I wouldnt mess with forks/swingarm till you know if you need to - its easy to blame the bike for being slow, when actually its the rider. Spend your cash on track time.
I heard Mobster are the ones to get - I'm not sure if these are the Mobster ones, it doesn't specify. Any idea where is the best place to buy them from?

Also - I guess the tyres are tubeless? Do people usually fit the tyres themselves, what kind of tools will I need (never done tyre fitting!)?

Drilled axles are available from OORacing so will pick them up at some point. How do I know what spacers I will need for the new wheels? Is it just a case of trial and error until I get the right spacing or what?

I guess a hole is needed to be drilled through the end of the grips for the hand guards then?

Thanks for your advice on this by the way - god send. Always good to speak to someone already in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-t View Post
Good progress so far mate , looking really good !
Thank you sir

Also...

On idle my engine sounds a bit tappy compared to the YX140. I've set the valve clearances to .003 inlet .004 exhaust and there wasn't much difference to the noise. It seems to run fine and noise disappears when its not idling. Maybe I'll make a video and hope the microphone picks it up to get your opinions. Pretty sure its not oil related as it had new oil before the first start (after rebuild) and after 15 minutes of warm up / low revs I dropped the oil and replaced it with Putoline stuff and changed the oil filter too.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #15
bigdom
Senior

Bike: 150pit/RMZ 250

Isn't it 004 inlet and 006 exhaust?
bigdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #16
Clarkey
Novice

Bike: YX160

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdom View Post
Isn't it 004 inlet and 006 exhaust?
Yeah others have suggested the same. I'll be trying 004, 006 tomorrow and will update
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote