Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > Other Bikes > Monkey Bike

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

• Gear issue with Lifan 150cc horizontal
    I bought a monkey bike for me to restore and along with it a lifan 150 engine almost brand new. Everything on the engine...
  • Unknown tank
    Can anyone tell me what this tank is off ? Also how to upload a picture...
  • Honda CT70 Trail engine swap
    Hello, I've got a 1972 4 speed CT70 Trail which I plan on using in a few long distance trials this year (for kicks)...

Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
dervdub
Wheelie King

Bike: Slow Old Heap
Re: Anyone else own a lifan wacky?

Exactly that mate, you'll need longer rear shocks too, although if you have a drum brake/undamped front end I'd just replace the front end with proper forks or USD's with a disk brake.
dervdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 AM   #22
mysterious_rider
PBC Legend

Bike: z50,mk2 golf.

No point sticking disc brakes on the front. Get new pads and the brakes are sharp as. My drum brakes are better than any disc ones I've got. So so sharp.
mysterious_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #23
dervdub
Wheelie King

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttess View Post
No point sticking disc brakes on the front. Get new pads and the brakes are sharp as. My drum brakes are better than any disc ones I've got. So so sharp.
I think your disk braked bikes must be either rubbish or in need of serious work.

I've got 2 disk braked monkeys, one with the standard small disk and one with a large disk, the small disk bike pulls up much harder and with a ton more feel than the drum braked Jinchneg Dirt monkey I have, the large disk braked bike is even better but with no fade, even after repeated full on stops from 70mph +.

Also, the drum braked front ends have no proper damping, whereas the disk braked front ends have proper hydraulic forks
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
chrismorris

Bike: lifan wacky

I have a disk brake on the front, can't complain about it! It does it's job! So where can i find the stuff to do this? Seriously considering it! Is th e stuff ooracing sell fit my lifan ?
chrismorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
mysterious_rider
PBC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervdub View Post
I think your disk braked bikes must be either rubbish or in need of serious work.

I've got 2 disk braked monkeys, one with the standard small disk and one with a large disk, the small disk bike pulls up much harder and with a ton more feel than the drum braked Jinchneg Dirt monkey I have, the large disk braked bike is even better but with no fade, even after repeated full on stops from 70mph +.

Also, the drum braked front ends have no proper damping, whereas the disk braked front ends have proper hydraulic forks

That's good. But still, the disc brakes are good, but I don't see why drum wouldn't be just as good. Because my drum brakes stop perfectly and I don't even have to pull on them hard. If I tried any harder I'd just get the wheel to slide out, then it's a matter of tyre grip and nothing to do with braking power.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
dervdub
Wheelie King

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismorris View Post
I have a disk brake on the front, can't complain about it! It does it's job! So where can i find the stuff to do this? Seriously considering it! Is th e stuff ooracing sell fit my lifan ?
OORacing sell all the stuff you need, all monkeys are pretty much the same so it should fit no problem. On the monkey run I was on a couple of weeks ago a guy had a Lifan wacky and I had a good look over it, couldn't spot any differences that would matter.

Quote:
That's good. But still, the disc brakes are good, but I don't see why drum wouldn't be just as good. Because my drum brakes stop perfectly and I don't even have to pull on them hard. If I tried any harder I'd just get the wheel to slide out, then it's a matter of tyre grip and nothing to do with braking power.
(Just for the record I'm not having a pop at your bike, I have an identical one myself)

Drum brakes are smaller so have more of a job of stopping, they may well have more friction material on them, but heat kills brakes so the friction material surface area needs to be bigger.

As for tyre grip I run Metzeler ME 7-teens on my bike and they're about as sticky as a road legal tyre can get, grip is not an issue. My bike will happily pull stoppies, even with my 6'1" 14 stone lardy arse aboard lol

While we're talking about tyre grip, the drum brake front end has no proper damping, they are friction dampers, just like on Austin 7's from the 30's, poor or bad damping (or Zero damping) will cause wheels to lock earlier than they should.

We could argue forever about whats best, but look at it this way:

Bike makers have been using disks on the front of bikes since the 70's, up until then the best brakes to be had were twin leading shoe drum brakes, they were huge and the bikes often had spokes only a few inches long as the drums had to be so big to offer any proper stopping power. Early disks weren't all that, but as technology has improved over the last 30 years disks are simply better, even base model commuter bikes like the Honda Innova have them, all the they was up to bikes capable of 200mph +, same deal with cars, all cars now have disks up front at least and most have disk rear ends.

If drums are so great, why are they hardly used now?? (Rhetorical question lol)

We should sort out a road legal meet and have a 60-0mph drag race
Old 09-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
mysterious_rider
PBC Legend

You're looking too far. These are childrens motorbikes and as such, they don't need cbr1000 braking systems. Drums are more than efficient in stopping a childs toy.

It matters not, I'm just getting my point across that drum brakes are more than adequate to hold their own. Or at least, they do on small bikes.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #28
dervdub
Wheelie King

Quote:
You're looking too far. These are childrens motorbikes and as such, they don't need cbr1000 braking systems. Drums are more than efficient in stopping a childs toy.

It matters not, I'm just getting my point across that drum brakes are more than adequate to hold their own. Or at least, they do on small bikes.
You're being short sighted A faster bike needs better brakes, drums are perfect for a kids toy, but not good enough for a fast bike, as the OP is talking about modding it and was asking about my setup I was simply giving my opion and telling him what I have done to my bike. Drum brakes on my bike would be suicidal.

You're right about a Monkey bike not needing CBR1000 brakes, so at least we agree on something.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #29
mysterious_rider
PBC Legend

Let's hear the spec of your bike then

Obivously your drum brakes are knackered, no offence, but mine are sharp as. I have to agree though, some drum brakes are complete cack, but mine are superb.

If this guy and his monkey have drum brakes, then I'm not complaining!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #30
dervdub
Wheelie King

Engine spec is YX140, Z-40 cam, high comp piston, reworked and polished ports, Keihin 28mm CV carb. The speedo goes to the 6 oclock position, which on Monkeys is 90 degree's after the 45mph mark, it's also running 10" wheels which means the speedo reads 11% slower than with the 8" wheels, suffice to say, it needs a disk

The drum brakes are fine, hub not worn, oval or too smooth, also has good quality new shoes. They stop the Jincheng dirt monkey just fine, but that only does about 40mph lol

Nice find with the video, he'll have a mile or two to slow down when he's finished his runs though, that wouldn't be the case if Mr Magoo pulls out in front you in his Volvo after shopping at Tescos....