Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > Classifieds > Wanted

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 25-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
pitbikeingmad
Compulsive Poster

Bike: monstermoto sxf
WANTED: Box trailer/motorbike trailer.

Alright guys, looking for a motorbike (preferably a box trailer) can pick up today, cash waiting! willing to go anywhere an hour and half from chatteris (cambridgeshire).

Thanks.
Law
pitbikeingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Dangle_kt
PBC Legend

Re: WANTED: Box trailer/motorbike trailer.

be aware you can't pick it up today unless someone else is driving.

Most proper box trailers are plated WAY over 750kg, and you can't tow em, even empty.

I know you only passed recently so check what you can tow on the DVLA website legally, I assume its 750kg or 3,500 kgs combined with car, where the weight of the trailer doesn't exceed the weight of the car, and within the towing restrictions of the car chassis. It invalidates insurance if you have a crash and are over weight or even if the trailer is plated up as able to carry more than you are allowed.

It's not a very straight forward subject - SO LOOK INTO IT BEFORE BUYING.
Dangle_kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
thebigd
Wheelie King

Bike: pitster pro x4

youll need to do your trailer test for any trailer wont you? heard aswell if you dont get the reversing bit right its an automatic fail,that was at our local test station anyway
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
pitbikeingmad
Compulsive Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
be aware you can't pick it up today unless someone else is driving.

Most proper box trailers are plated WAY over 750kg, and you can't tow em, even empty.

I know you only passed recently so check what you can tow on the DVLA website legally, I assume its 750kg or 3,500 kgs combined with car, where the weight of the trailer doesn't exceed the weight of the car, and within the towing restrictions of the car chassis. It invalidates insurance if you have a crash and are over weight or even if the trailer is plated up as able to carry more than you are allowed.

It's not a very straight forward subject - SO LOOK INTO IT BEFORE BUYING.
Thanks for the heads up fella, but i have done my research into it, hence im only just started looking for one! Like you said, i can tow a trailer up to 750kg, and you'd be surprised how many box trailers are under that. (single axle and un-braked trailers are usually a good indication as to whether the trailer is beyond 750kg, every trailer over 750kg needs to have a working brake to be legal).

Old 25-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
pitbikeingmad
Compulsive Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
youll need to do your trailer test for any trailer wont you? heard aswell if you dont get the reversing bit right its an automatic fail,that was at our local test station anyway
nope, can tow anything up to 750 kg or 3500 combined with car.
Old 25-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Dangle_kt
PBC Legend

my Licence is the same - it's more that spot a beast TOW A VAN type trailer and then get sucker punched that you can't use it, cos its plated 4000kg or whatever!

That said law, you can plate them down legally you know. I did it with a car transporter I had for my kit car. I weighed the car, weighed the trailer - it was under 3500kg combined rule, so then got a suitable plate made to give the correct figures for my tow car and fitted it.
Dangle_kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
pitbikeingmad
Compulsive Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
my Licence is the same - it's more that spot a beast TOW A VAN type trailer and then get sucker punched that you can't use it, cos its plated 4000kg or whatever!

That said law, you can plate them down legally you know. I did it with a car transporter I had for my kit car. I weighed the car, weighed the trailer - it was under 3500kg combined rule, so then got a suitable plate made to give the correct figures for my tow car and fitted it.
Haha, nah i know what im looking for! and oh really? fair enough!
Old 26-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Lewy A
On Stabilizers

Bike: Demon x DXR 125

Hi mate
Iv got a mate selling a box trailer at the moment,
I have no idea how much he wants or dimensions yet but Iv had my pitbike in it. Located in Cambridgeshire aswel. Could pm me your email address and I could pass it on to him if you were Interested? Just thought I'd let you know

Lewy
Lewy A is offline   Reply With Quote