Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > Pit Bike Discussion

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
samir
Super King

Bike: r1
Post Daylight MOT - letter from vosa

this is a letter i got from vosa for all the people that need to know about a daylight mot.

it has been confirmed that you do not need a rear brake light and any other lights for daytime riding and for it to pass a daytime mot (full mot certificate but with advisarys)

the only thing needed is a horn and reg plate thats it nothing else.

proof is below

Dear Samir,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry dated 4th May 2010, concerning daytime MOT's.

A daylight MOT would require a motorbike to have a horn and a rear registration plate.

The testing guidelines state that motorbikes can be exempt from having lamps tested if they meet the following criteria:-

machines which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are:-
  • only used in daylight hours
  • not used in times of serious reduced visibility

The following items/lamps are not required to be tested in order for a MOT to pass a daylight MOT test as long as they meet the criteria above.
  • Front and Rear position lamps
  • Headlamps
  • Stop Lamps
  • Rear Reflectors
  • Direction Indicators

VOSA can only advise on MOT standards queries. For information on the legal requirements you will need to address your enquiry to the Department for Transport, as they deal with the Construction and Use Regulations and Road Law.

The Department for Transport can be telephoned on 0300 330 3000, or you can visit their website at www.dft.gov.uk for further contact information.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Robert Evans
VOSA Contact Centre
Operations Directorate
Tel: 0300 123 9000
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
Adam #7
Compulsive Poster

Bike: custom 172 4v
Re: letter from vosa

STICKY'D
Old 05-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
physco_nutcase_danny
PBC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by samir View Post
this is a letter i got from vosa for all the people that need to know about a daylight mot.

it has been confirmed that you do not need a rear brake light and any other lights for daytime riding and for it to pass a daytime mot (full mot certificate but with advisarys)

the only thing needed is a horn and reg plate thats it nothing else.

proof is below

Dear Samir,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry dated 4th May 2010, concerning daytime MOT's.

A daylight MOT would require a motorbike to have a horn and a rear registration plate.

The testing guidelines state that motorbikes can be exempt from having lamps tested if they meet the following criteria:-

machines which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are:-
  • only used in daylight hours
  • not used in times of serious reduced visibility

The following items/lamps are not required to be tested in order for a MOT to pass a daylight MOT test as long as they meet the criteria above.
  • Front and Rear position lamps
  • Headlamps
  • Stop Lamps
  • Rear Reflectors
  • Direction Indicators
VOSA can only advise on MOT standards queries. For information on the legal requirements you will need to address your enquiry to the Department for Transport, as they deal with the Construction and Use Regulations and Road Law.

The Department for Transport can be telephoned on 0300 330 3000, or you can visit their website at www.dft.gov.uk for further contact information.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Robert Evans
VOSA Contact Centre
Operations Directorate
Tel: 0300 123 9000
mot standards and road law are totally different matters.just because vosa say that no rear lamp is required to pass an mot doesnt mean that you dont have to have a working lamp to be road legal.mot you dont need a speedo but its against the law not to have a speedo fitted and working..
Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base

Quote:
Originally Posted by physco_nutcase_danny View Post
mot standards and road law are totally different matters.just because vosa say that no rear lamp is required to pass an mot doesnt mean that you dont have to have a working lamp to be road legal.mot you dont need a speedo but its against the law not to have a speedo fitted and working..
indeed your right (apart from headlight), speedo isnt an mot requirement but is a road law requirement but lets not mix mot and road requirements up.

This thread is a good sticky just for confirmination for anyone saying this that and the other but I must admit some mot places are picky wether a brake/tail light is on there but it is not required for mot and is not a road law requirement either.

we all know its safer to have one though
Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
gaz56
Wheelie King

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what's legal and what's not.

I would never ride without a brake light. I wouldn't even ride without headlights if I could help it.
If you're going to be using your bike on the road mate, then you need to change your attitude towards it.

It's not about what you can get away with, it's about using your brain and making sure that you are seen. Trust me, on a pitbike, no matter how loud it is, 99% of people don't even see you. I've had way too many near misses and that's running lights throughout the day.
Closed Thread