Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base
Post Shineray (SR) do up & maintenance tutorial

New SR build up & maintenance:
(in no real order and tutorial can be used for any pitbike in general on or offroad maintenance wise)

Every bolt that needs to be tight and doesnt have its own grip should have some sort of extra tightness aka:

locktite - recommended for - engine bolts and rear sprocket mount
Nylon locking nuts - recommended for - anything else that needn't be moving but any need to in the future. famously use these on the rear brake resevoir push rod to keep the adjustment in 1 place.

star washers - to be used to cover exhaust studs to stop corrsion, plus use some dome caps

spring washers - where ever needed if not using nylon nuts recommended

If not sure what any of these terms are please "google" them

Note: Oil level should be checked once a week and for longer journeys of 40+mile round trip, the oil should be checked before your journey.

If already in there the oil should be changed straight away (10w/40 semi synthetic) and recommend the spark plug to be changed for a decent one ( list of spark plugs that can be used >

NGK CR6HSA
NGK C6HSA
NGK CR7HSA
NGK C7HSA
NGK Iridium CR7HIX
Torch A7TC ( the chink plug thats already in it)

Recommended spark plugs are:

NGK Iridium CR7HIX, NGK CR7HSA or NGK C7HSA

change rear shock (breaks easy)

charge the battery - using 12v trickle charger

strengthen the rear end frame - requires welding or a chop job (witch il come back to later in this tutorial)

check the spokes - Going left to right round every spoke giving each 1/5th of a turn. To lock it off you can use locktite but rust usually does the job for you

Exhaust stud should be covered by washers with dome caps on the end to stop corrosion from road water & salt.

Forks will also need protection from rain etc... this can be done using a special lube for motorcycle forks (check ebay) or alternatively you can use a tiny bit of WD40 but the best way is to dry the forks with an old rag to stop the corrosion process. (fork lube will also protect your fork seals)

Air filter should be changed for foam or K&N style filter to avoid problems

Chain tension should be checked after every ride especially when the chain is new as it will stretch. You want about 2-3cm of chain slack from the top of the swingarm pivoting point where the plastic chain slider is.

Rear light - tail light tends to go (blows/filament breaks) due to vibration witch is a pain, recommend you change the light for an L.E.D one so you dont end up changing the damn bulbs all the time.

Battery box is another weak factor but all pitbikes have this problem but for offroad pits you can just take it off and cover the terminals to solve the problem but road legal bikes being used for night use cannot. tempory fix for road legals is to just weld it stronger but i have recently had it snap on me due to wheeling i think so im working on an alternative, will post once i have the answer.

strengthening the rear end frame

Theres 2 ways you can go about but I recommend both is done due a poor design and is most properly the most disappointing factor of this bike.

Red arrows are the welding points, the pink arrow is the is the new piece of welded metal for extra strength. (mig weld being the best)

Having that done I still felt as though the rear end frame was holding too much weight, that and it looked ugly anyway so I decided to do a chop/short up (credit to jthump for this one).

With a new rear light with bracket I brought from ooracing (but can buy any style light with bracket you like) I took the reflector off and drilled 2 new holes for the bolts that are on the light, recommending you use some rubber washers (due to vibration) add them on the bolts and use star or sring washers to bolt it down. The light having its own bracket the number plate simply bolts on and finally all that was needed was a hacksaw to chop the frame down to size reducing the weight.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Hi all, just thought I would add these new pics of my new and improved mod,it totally does away with the old frame, took me 7 hours to plan, design and fit it and heres the end result.

Picture 3

Picture 4

I will add to this tutorial at a later date as I have most properly missed some info.
Closed Thread

Tags
maintenance tutorial, shineray