Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > The Workshop

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 14-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
seby

electric start problem

hi guys
iv got a 110cc dream bike. electric start has never worked since iv had it so decided to try get it going bought a new switch but still no joy,when bike is running switch will cut out engine no problem,and also when bike is running and i press the start button the soienoid make a clicking noise but when off does nothing? do yous reckon its the soienoid or a faulty ignition coil? i also cant seem to find a battery on the bike,where does it get power from?
any help welcome
cheers
seby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
physco_nutcase_danny
PBC Legend

Re: electric start problem

for the electric start to work,there must be a battery on the bike.id say the battery is pretty knackered and theres only enough juice there to make the solonoid click rather than spin the motor up.

find where abouts the battery is located on the bike,normally under the rear number board plastics.get a multi meter across the battery and check the output with engine off.battery should read 11-12 volts.check with engine running,should read 13-14 volts.

if the battery is good then its either a dodgy earth,starter motor is funked or starter relay is funked.

check all earths ect are clean,rust free and tight.

to check starter solonoid.power on,multi meter red to starter motor feed on solonoid (thick red cable) and meter black on battery neg (black).flick starter button and your meter should read 12v.
physco_nutcase_danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
seby

cheers mate thanks alot,
found out where the battery should be finaly! do i have to get a battery mountain bracket or will the actual battery have holes in it to bolt to the frame? if you know what i mean,
also would you mind explaining in simple terms the route from battery to get the electric start working ie:battery-solenoid-switch etc?
thanks again man
Old 16-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
thugwithissues
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by physco_nutcase_danny View Post
for the electric start to work,there must be a battery on the bike.id say the battery is pretty knackered and theres only enough juice there to make the solonoid click rather than spin the motor up.

find where abouts the battery is located on the bike,normally under the rear number board plastics.get a multi meter across the battery and check the output with engine off.battery should read 11-12 volts.check with engine running,should read 13-14 volts.

if the battery is good then its either a dodgy earth,starter motor is funked or starter relay is funked.

check all earths ect are clean,rust free and tight.

to check starter solonoid.power on,multi meter red to starter motor feed on solonoid (thick red cable) and meter black on battery neg (black).flick starter button and your meter should read 12v.
thanks i needed to know how to test this myself
thugwithissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
thugwithissues
Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by seby View Post
cheers mate thanks alot,
found out where the battery should be finaly! do i have to get a battery mountain bracket or will the actual battery have holes in it to bolt to the frame? if you know what i mean,
also would you mind explaining in simple terms the route from battery to get the electric start working ie:battery-solenoid-switch etc?
thanks again man
here you go this helped me but two wires were dir trial and error sorted that
i know it says vertical engine but i used this to fit one to my old 110 pit bike and worked a treat
thugwithissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
seby

top class mate got a shot of a battery today and got it fired up fitted new coil and switch and going sweet just need to purchase myself a battery and a holder any ideas where to get them? had a look on ebay but non come with a holder?unless a make one up myself.. but would rather get the proper thing

Old 28-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #7
Liamchick95
Novice

Bike: Pit bike

Hi all I’m having trouble getting my electric start to work on my pit bike it’s brand new but bought it off line the red wire from the battery with the fuse on it is not connected to anything you can see the copper wire does anyone no where to connect it
Liamchick95 is offline   Reply With Quote