Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > Other Bikes > Moto-X

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

• malaguti grizzly
    hi guys first post on the forum ive just restored a malaguti grizzly mx for my grandson.the purple framed model with...
  • Nepal Treks & Tours Pvt. Ltd
    Welcome Nepal Travel Tour Company always welcome to any Travel Agency, Tour agencies,...
  • super bike
    I am going to buy new super bike can you please help...

Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #31
_James_
Wheelie King

Re: kx85 road legal ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisoN* View Post
all depends on my funds
Same. I have a feeling that my 50 will be going to fund it at Xmas.
_James_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #32
harrison27
PBC Legend

Bike: D-LINK 160

yeah my pug will probably go around then because mopeds in the winter are ****.
harrison27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #33
_James_
Wheelie King

Exactly. And my Birthday is in February anyways, so only have to wait a month and a bit
_James_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
julesr

Bike: ktm

I was the owner of the road legal KX85 in question. Its very very easy.

Firstly, write to the manufacturer (UK address) enclosing your frame number and engine number. Ask them for a letter to identify the date of manufacture. A word of WARNING.....if your bike or engine is stolen all hell will now break loose and you can expect a visit from the boys in blue and your bike will then disappear. If you are any doubt, ring the police and tell them you are about to buy a bike frame and crankcase for cash and do they have a record of the frame/engine number being stolen. I speak from experience.

Then prepare the bike:

Tyres: there are road legal mx/enduro tyres to fit so you have two options: Fit road tyres (as i did) for the MOT or just scrub the words NHS or NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE off your tyres.

Exhaust: Polish your exhaust to the extent that there is no "not for highway use" on the silencer.

Electrics: 12v stator as suggested or do not have at all (use a 9v battery under seat)

Brake light: Not actually required (believe it or not)....but you would have to be stupid not to. I fitted an LED tail light and used 2 x pressure switches and 9v battery (lasts about 6 months). The switches are available off ebay and fit in place of the banjo bolts on the master cylinders (foot and handlebars).

Horn: Is one of two things you HAVE to fit and must be working. Also ran off the 9v battery.

Speedo: This is the other mandatory fit. Fit to handle bars but doesnt actually have to work....as long as a mileage is given when the button is pressed (ok it'll always read 0 miles). I fitted a fully working version (7.99 bike clock from halfords) and araldited the sensor to the underside of the brake caliper. The magnet then fits to the spokes (after a bit of work with a file to widen the slot). Worked a charm.

Chain guards: just the front standard mx type is all you need.

Suspension: Make sure no seals are even leaking slightly.

Bearings: All perfect

Brake pads: Must be good.

Head stock bearings: May need to be loosened so that there is no friction when turning the steering (but no play either)

Then take it for MOT stating that you are to use it for competition and ask them to create the mot documents using the frame number.

Once it has passed and not before (from experience) ring Bikesure (i think) and get them to insure the bike using the frame number. They will give you 30 days to get back to them with your new registration document. The insurer they have to use is never the cheapest (alas).

Go to DVLA local office (with insurance doc, mot cert and a debit card/cash) and get a V55 for registering a vehicle (ask at the counter which version of the V55 you have to use (there are two), explaining that it is an existing bike that has not yet been registered and is to be used for competition.

I asked them to give me a hand to fill it in as you only need the bare minimum of info. There is a box that needs to be ticked for competition use (this gets off the hook regarding MSVA test etc). They will ask you to bring the bike in a few days to inspect the frame number and engine number. They will then issue a date relevant number plate.

Another word of warning...if they get you to bring the bike that afternoon. You can expect that your bike is indeed stolen and you will be welcomed back by our law enforcement friends.

Get your number plate manufactured at halfords and the jobs done. Do not forget to ring the insurance company.

Get a nice tapered number plate off ebay that wont break at the first sign of trouble. Use your bike off road legally as well its great fun and you learn how to ride so much better. Join the TRF and they will show you where the green lanes are.

I must add that technically you are not really supposed to use the bike on the road outside of competition use, but there is no identifier on the V5.

Also small two strokes will melt their pistons in a heart beat. The best plan of action is to go in short burst of ten seconds and then back off gently keeping the throttle open a bit. Do not pin it for miles, then back off, it will go lean and seize.

HOPE his helps
julesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #35
cookie456

Bike: pit bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesr View Post
I was the owner of the road legal KX85 in question. Its very very easy.

Firstly, write to the manufacturer (UK address) enclosing your frame number and engine number. Ask them for a letter to identify the date of manufacture. A word of WARNING.....if your bike or engine is stolen all hell will now break loose and you can expect a visit from the boys in blue and your bike will then disappear. If you are any doubt, ring the police and tell them you are about to buy a bike frame and crankcase for cash and do they have a record of the frame/engine number being stolen. I speak from experience.

Then prepare the bike:

Tyres: there are road legal mx/enduro tyres to fit so you have two options: Fit road tyres (as i did) for the MOT or just scrub the words NHS or NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE off your tyres.

Exhaust: Polish your exhaust to the extent that there is no "not for highway use" on the silencer.

Electrics: 12v stator as suggested or do not have at all (use a 9v battery under seat)

Brake light: Not actually required (believe it or not)....but you would have to be stupid not to. I fitted an LED tail light and used 2 x pressure switches and 9v battery (lasts about 6 months). The switches are available off ebay and fit in place of the banjo bolts on the master cylinders (foot and handlebars).

Horn: Is one of two things you HAVE to fit and must be working. Also ran off the 9v battery.

Speedo: This is the other mandatory fit. Fit to handle bars but doesnt actually have to work....as long as a mileage is given when the button is pressed (ok it'll always read 0 miles). I fitted a fully working version (7.99 bike clock from halfords) and araldited the sensor to the underside of the brake caliper. The magnet then fits to the spokes (after a bit of work with a file to widen the slot). Worked a charm.

Chain guards: just the front standard mx type is all you need.

Suspension: Make sure no seals are even leaking slightly.

Bearings: All perfect

Brake pads: Must be good.

Head stock bearings: May need to be loosened so that there is no friction when turning the steering (but no play either)

Then take it for MOT stating that you are to use it for competition and ask them to create the mot documents using the frame number.

Once it has passed and not before (from experience) ring Bikesure (i think) and get them to insure the bike using the frame number. They will give you 30 days to get back to them with your new registration document. The insurer they have to use is never the cheapest (alas).

Go to DVLA local office (with insurance doc, mot cert and a debit card/cash) and get a V55 for registering a vehicle (ask at the counter which version of the V55 you have to use (there are two), explaining that it is an existing bike that has not yet been registered and is to be used for competition.

I asked them to give me a hand to fill it in as you only need the bare minimum of info. There is a box that needs to be ticked for competition use (this gets off the hook regarding MSVA test etc). They will ask you to bring the bike in a few days to inspect the frame number and engine number. They will then issue a date relevant number plate.

Another word of warning...if they get you to bring the bike that afternoon. You can expect that your bike is indeed stolen and you will be welcomed back by our law enforcement friends.

Get your number plate manufactured at halfords and the jobs done. Do not forget to ring the insurance company.

Get a nice tapered number plate off ebay that wont break at the first sign of trouble. Use your bike off road legally as well its great fun and you learn how to ride so much better. Join the TRF and they will show you where the green lanes are.

I must add that technically you are not really supposed to use the bike on the road outside of competition use, but there is no identifier on the V5.

Also small two strokes will melt their pistons in a heart beat. The best plan of action is to go in short burst of ten seconds and then back off gently keeping the throttle open a bit. Do not pin it for miles, then back off, it will go lean and seize.

HOPE his helps

cheers dude
cookie456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
riky2stroke
Training

Bike: kx100 motard

when they insect the bike,does the height ,or ground clearance of the bike matter?
riky2stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #37
rexfan10
On Stabilizers

Bike: aprilia rs50

Quote:
Originally Posted by riky2stroke View Post
when they insect the bike,does the height ,or ground clearance of the bike matter?
last post is 3 years old
rexfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote