Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Club General > Off Topic Discussion

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Husky
PBC Veteran

Bike: Custom "Masai"
Help! Laws!

O.K im having a bit of trouble understandanding some of the exemptions on the The Motor Vehicle Tyre
(Safety) Regulations 1994
it states "a tyre constructed solely for use off roads and bearing words or letters which indicate that use and which were moulded on to or into the tyre at the time of manufacture;" does this mean a tyre marked "offroad use only" is exempt from these laws & legal for use on the roads?

also my numberplate is in a very vertical position, can just about balance a can of pop on it, is this breaking any laws?

Cheers for any info.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
harrison27
PBC Legend

Bike: D-LINK 160
Re: Help! Laws!

From what my local tester told me.

tyres must be E-marked/DOT marked.

and plate angle is down to tester and any police officer that stops you but that angle sounds very steep!
harrison27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Husky
PBC Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisoN* View Post
From what my local tester told me.

tyres must be E-marked/DOT marked.

and plate angle is down to tester and any police officer that stops you but that angle sounds very steep!
but if im reading the legislation correctly, a tyre designed for use off roads and has a marking stating this is exempt from any eu standards, bsau stadards etc.

have a flick through the introduction & section 3 and you'll see what im on about
Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Husky
PBC Veteran

also enduro/ dual sport tyres must be e-marked & MST marked to pass mot, UK road laws and MOT requirements are 2 completely different things..
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
harrison27
PBC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
but if im reading the legislation correctly, a tyre designed for use off roads and has a marking stating this is exempt from any eu standards, bsau stadards etc.

have a flick through the introduction & section 3 and you'll see what im on about
but its obvously got to meet these standards to be used on the road.

Quote:
also enduro/ dual sport tyres must be e-marked & MST marked to pass mot, UK road laws and MOT requirements are 2 completely different things..
its not hard just get some e-marked knobblies
Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
Dangle_kt
PBC Legend

Quote:
O.K im having a bit of trouble understandanding some of the exemptions on the The Motor Vehicle Tyre
(Safety) Regulations 1994
it states "a tyre constructed solely for use off roads and bearing words or letters which indicate that use and which were moulded on to or into the tyre at the time of manufacture;" does this mean a tyre marked "offroad use only" is exempt from these laws & legal for use on the roads?

also my numberplate is in a very vertical position, can just about balance a can of pop on it, is this breaking any laws?

Cheers for any info.
I presume you mean horizontal?

There isn't a VOSA test for having a perfectly perpendicular numberplate to the road. The one on my kit car is not, and it passed the SVA test fine.

That said, a horizontal number plate won't be readable, so expect to get pulled.

You can be within the law but breaking the spirit of it - and if you do, they might not be able to do you for that, but they will find something to give you points for.

Ref the tyres - that law is about SELLING tyres, not using them.
Dangle_kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Husky
PBC Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisoN* View Post
but its obvously got to meet these standards to be used on the road.

its not hard just get some e-marked knobblies
BUT....

"Interpretation of Part III8.—(1) For the purposes of this Part of these Regulations, an exempt tyre is a tyre which falls within any of the descriptions set out below—

(a)a bias-belted tyre or a diagonal-ply tyre, being a tyre designed for fitting to a wheel of a motor vehicle or trailer manufactured before 1st January 1949;
(b)a tyre constructed solely for use off roads and bearing words or letters which indicate that use and which were moulded on to or into the tyre at the time of manufacture;
(c)a tyre constructed solely for use on vehicles in competitions and bearing words or letters which indicate that use and which were moulded on to or into the tyre at the time of manufacture;
(d)a tyre bearing one of the following tyre-size designations namely: 185R16, 125R400, 135R400, 145R400, 155R400, 165R400, 175R400 or 185R400, being a mark that was moulded on to or into the tyre at the time of manufacture;
(e)a tyre designed primarily for fitting to a wheel of a vehicle manufactured before 1st January 1933."

its hard to find them for 12/14 wheels infact it near impossible ive looked for ages...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
oliver_125
PBC Legend

Bike: shineray.......

try get some roa ripper offroad tires like the dude who had a road ripper had ,he never used them an got road tyres i think
oliver_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
harrison27
PBC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver_125 View Post
try get some roa ripper offroad tires like the dude who had a road ripper had ,he never used them an got road tyres i think
ive already dibbs'd.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Dangle_kt
PBC Legend

husky, you might have missed what I added.

The rules define what can be SOLD, not what can be used on the road.

All its saying is that a retailer can sell tyres that do not have the E mark on, if they are clearly marked as "for offroad use only".

All that does is mean that all tyres sold in this country will either be exempt, or be E marked.

Its to stop dodgy tyres being sold, and people fitting them unawares.

Having NOT FOR ROAD USE on the side is the hint that you shouldn't use them on the road.
Dangle_kt is offline   Reply With Quote