Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Club General > Off Topic Discussion

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
atticus
Super Moderator

Bike: Sold up!
Motorcycle Laws

Basically, this is for all those that do not fully understand the laws surrounding motorcycle road riding.

At 16:

Compulsary Basic Training(CBT), for a 50cc scooter only (geared or automatic).

17 - 21:

Compulsary Basic Training(CBT), for a 125cc motorcycle or scooter.
With only a CBT you are restricted to 14bhp maximum.

Category A1 license - Light Motorcycle License. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75cc and 120cc. If successful the full license will allow the rider to ride any Light Motorcycle without L-Plates up to a maximum capacity of 125cc with a maximum power output of no greater than 11kW. (14.6bhp.) If the test is taken on an automatic or semi-automatic machine i.e.Honda C90, or Scooter, then the license will be endorsed with a restriction which will limit the rider to ride only automatic and semi automatic machines up to 125cc as above.

Category A license (Restricted) - The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 120cc and 125cc. If successful, the full license allows the rider to ride any bike without L plates up to a maximum power output of no greater than 25kW (33bhp), for two years. After the two-years the license is automatically changed to allow you to ride any size bike. Again, if the test is taken on an automatic or semi-automatic machine then the license will be endorsed with a restriction limiting the rider to drive only automatic and semi-automatic machines up to the power limits as above.

Training and testing for Category A1 and Category A (restricted) are the only options available for learner riders under 21 years of age. The effect of this legislation therefore means that for young riders, no one under the age of nineteen will be able to ride a motorcycle more powerful than the 33 bhp limit. (Unless they passed a test before 1st January 1997.)

21+:
You can choose to do either, providing you have been through your CBT;

Category A license (Un-restricted) - The practical test must be taken on a machine with a power output no less than 35kW. (46.6 bhp) to give access to any sized machine. This "Direct Access" option is only available to candidates over 21 years of age.

Note: Before undergoing any license you must first have completed a CBT.

Category P - Moped Entitlement. If you have a full car licence and you passed your car test before 1st February 2001, then you will have Category P on your Licence. This means you can ride a moped without L plates, and carry pillion passengers without having to take a test or CBT. However if you passed your car test after 1st February 2001, then you will have to take CBT which will last the life of the Licence, you can then ride a moped without L plates and carry pillion passengers.

Please correct me if I am wrong in any areas as these are the laws as I understand them so I believe them to be correct. Eventually, this will be 100% correct, when it is I will closed and sticky the thread so that there is no more dispute.
atticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m2r# bigger wheels#