Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > The Workshop

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 30-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
skingston
Novice

Bike: Generic Chinese
Cam timing slipping!

Hi, have recently bought a non-running generic Chinese 110cc pit bike.
Got it running after finding out that the cam timing was out. However after riding for a short while, the bike stopped, with the timing out again.

After messing with this a few times now, finally took the ignition/coil plate off to reveal the chain tensioner & the crank mounted cam chain sprocket. Turns out the sprocket is moving on the crankshaft. Taking the sprocket off I couldn't immediately see anything to stop the sprocket rotating on the crank...am I missing something? Should there be a pin or a woodruff key?

The engine is a generic 152FMH type BTW.

Thanks for any help.
skingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Cagiva4ever
Burning Rubber

Bike: Thumpstar X5'09
Re: Cam timing slipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skingston View Post
...& the crank mounted cam chain sprocket. Turns out the sprocket is moving on the crankshaft. ....
i had an impression that the sprocket is Heat shrink fitted into the Crank axle. difference in diam for heat shrink is summink generally speaking 0,05mm.

it deffo isnt a Conical cone fittment. i havent either seen any w-d-key locking.

sounds like you need to buy a new Crankshaft assembly.....
Cagiva4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #3
skingston
Novice

Thanks for the response, that is what I thought, and confirmed today when I had chance to take it apart in the garage.
Had a go at drilling a well in the sprocket and crank, and putting a weld in. My welder is a bit lightweight for that kind of job, but it's not as if it can make the situation any worse.
If it doesn't hold I'll get a new crank.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
Cagiva4ever
Burning Rubber

Bike: Thumpstar X5'09

How did you know the alignment for the Sprocket Vs TDC Bigend gudgeon pin, or how would i say it in english...

can go wrong by anything from 0~1 teeth...

i assume you didnt just spot weld it in random fix location....

would need basically a Mint Crank alonside to see the exact "alignment". unless its a 1 teeth exactly pointing at Gudgeonpin.. 12'o clock vertical cylinder or 9'o clock horizontal laydown cylinder, how do i say it in english...
Cagiva4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
skingston
Novice

I'm afraid I didn't do anything clever. I aligned the sprockets correctly before dismantling the cam sprocket. As the sprocket on the crank end was only moving when under load, I just then hoped it wouldn't shift whilst I drilled the well, then welded.
Fortunately it didn't move, and I've ended up with it being all lined up pretty well.