Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Club General > Off Topic Discussion > Introductions

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Hi all, new here bit of intro. Im scott, not new to pitbikes but been out of the bike mix for last 10 years. Recently...
  • Hi
    Hi new member south wales...
  • New to it all looking for places to ride in Steven...
    Hi everyone I’m new to pit biking and hoping for some guidance around places to practice I am near Knebworth side of...

Old 08-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
Moffat

Bike: ??
New kid on the block, and questions.

Hi people. New bloke here.
Just got myself a cheapy little pit bike today. It's the second time i've had one as a few of us bought some of the cheapy jap ones a couple of years ago, but i soon after sold mine. One of my mates still had his, so tonight, i've just swapped my sub and amp out my car, for his pit bike. He said it's a non-runner but i thought it can't be too hard to get it going agin, and it'll give me something to tinker on with in the meantime, and be fun chasing my little brother up and down the back field on his quad.
I dunno what kind to refer to it as, but this is it.

(Thats's not me! lol)

Like i say, just the cheap ones, but following on from theis thread it seems very similar to the Atomic Sidewinder? It's the 4spd semi-auto kind. That you can click up the gears from 1st to 4th, and then go up again into nuteral.

I've stripped it down tonight to get amongst it. Seems to be sparking fine, so i took the carb off and drained it (it's been sitting for about a year with no use) and will give it a clean out tomorrow. I think one or two of the lads have in the past, twiddled about with the carb settings, so how would i go about setting it back up again from scratch?

When dismantling the bike tonight, i noticed the wiring loom. Now the bike is missing its kill switch as he needed it for his CRF, so there's a couple of spare ends, which i don't know which ones are for what. I'll start at the front.
There's 5 wires come out of the side engine casing, what i could only asume was from the magneto or something. 2 of these go straight to the little box under the back fender (what's this?), 2 are disconnected, with bullet connectors on the ends, and 1 goes to the coil.
Now out of the 5 wires that come out of the box under the rear fender, there's obviously the 2 that run to the front, there's 1 with a bullet connector, 1 goes straight to the coil, and the last joins the wire which goes straight from the magneto tho the coil. From this join, there's also 1 more bullet connector. What are the spare ends for? And where should a kill switch fit in?
I can draw up a plan if needed.

Lastly, are manual clutch kits available for these?

Many thanks in advance for any answered questions.
Moffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
stevenbishop
Super King

Bike: cr85 r
Re: New kid on the block, and questions.

hi welcome to the club nice pit you gor wha sub and amp
stevenbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
stomper140
PBC Veteran

Bike: CR85R

welcome
stomper140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
mysterious_rider
PBC Legend

Bike: z50,mk2 golf.

Hi and welcome.

Not a bad starter bike there. All you need to do is both screws on carb (next to each other) screw them all the way in, then one and half turns out (roughly).

Then with a kill, just wire in between where the stator attaches to coil. (possibly a black/yellow or black/white or just a black wire. its just one that goes on the coil. Cut it in half and wire your killswitch in

that previous pit you had wont be a jap bike. Not unless it was a crf50 and was about 400 quid mark. (cheapest jap bike about) Otherwise klx etc your looking into your 1000's

Have fun with it
mysterious_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base

hi, 5 wires witch is the stator, you need to at least connect of them upto the loom, should be colour to colour. the killswitch will just be 2 wires usually 1 green 1 black/white

for more info check my forum for a wiring diagram layout.

ps: the two wires on the stator you have left are for running lights but you dont have any and wont need them so just wrap them up and tuck them away
Despise is offline   Reply With Quote