Go Back   Pit Bike Club > PBC Info Base > PBC Tutorials

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
armanib
Banned

Bike: DEMON X 125
How to fit headlight to pit bike !

Hello I am going to show you a simple way to run a HEADLIGHT off your pitbike engine so no need for heavy battery.
Firstly ill list a few things your going to be needing so you can be equipped with these items before you start.

Firstly you need to make sure your bike has a 5 wire statorto do this you need to look on the left hand side of your engine for some wires coming out there should be 3 or 5 if there is 3 this is no good you need to buy a 5 wire stator These can be easily purchased from ebay for about £25, If you have a 6 wire stator which some engine do have you should takw away the baby blue/green wire with red stripe we need to use the yellow and white wires.

Secondly your going to be in need of a headlight there are many different styles of light out there ranging from 1 bulb to 4 or 5 bulbs, Im going to show you how to wire up a 2 bulb light so you can run 1 bulb or 2 bulb at a time. I picked a personal favourite of mine.
Headlights can easily be picked up off ebay quite cheaply just search for enduro headlight or similar and you'll find quite a few

Thirdly your going to need some wire to transport the power to the lights this can easilybe purchased at maplin or any electronic store,
This wire is ideal as you can you it as 2 wires together (how it comes) or pull it apart into 2 single wires one which is
RED (live) and black which is earth that way there is no chance of electric shock your going to need this wire to be over 5 amp 15-20amp i reccomend you ideally want 2-3 meters 4 at the max as remember you can pull it apart and it makes it double the length this way it works out cheaper. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=20666

This is one of the main parts of the circuit your going to need a regulator rectifier which will control your power output as the stator can put out up to 50 or so volts which if that was going into a 12volt bulb the bulb would just blow.The rectifier takes in the 50volts which coming from the stator is ac power and the rectifier turns it into 12v dc power so no more dim lights

There are a few things your going to be needing which is a crimping set like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44094

Your gonna want a few spares so i would reccomend buying
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44094

Your going to be wanting an inline fuse incase your rectifier blows the fuse will stop it blowing your lights this is the one i used.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=444

Some fuses to go in that fuse holder your gonna wana use 15amp fuse
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37360

Your gonna need 2 switches i like these switches there very good
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218983

Now that should do you!

Now we have all the items were gonna need were gonna wana start,
1.cut 2 lengths or 1 if your gonna pull the wires apart to make 2 wires.

2.Put a male bullet end connector onto 1 end of each wire and a female spade end connector onto the other end of each wires.

3.Now cut off another 2 lengths of wire or 1 if your gonna pull the wire apart and put female spade end connectors onto 1 end of both of these wires.

4.The 2 wires with bullet end connectors are for the stator wires so they go in the white and yellow pins on this diagram and the other 2 go the other places.

Now plug them all in and connect to stator and rectifierso wire wich goes to yellow pin(pin isnt actually yellow) goes to yellow wire and white pin(pin isnt actually white) goes to white wire.

5.The wire that comes from the red pin needs the inline fuse to be added into it and then it can be split into 2,
And the wire from green pin needs to be earthed this is a simple splice into your normal loom green wire and tape up to stop water getting in.

6.On the end of the 2 red wires which wre made from 1 red wire you need to add a female spade end connector to each wire and connect to you switches You Then need to cut 2 lengths of wire or 1 if your gonna pull the wire apart to make 2 then add female spade end connectors on the 1 end of each wire and connect to the gold pin on back of both switches and run to your earth wire on your loom so these are now earthed.

7.You need to cut 2 lengths of wire or 1 if your gonna use 1 to make 2 wires and put a female spade end connector on 1 end of each wire and a male bullet connector on the other side of each wire and connect the female spade connectors onto both of the switches.

8.On the headlight unit there will be 4 wires 2 form each bulb you now wana put a female bullet end connector on 1 of the wires off each bulb and on the other 2 wires put male bullet end connectors .
The 2 with female bullet end connectors can now be joined with the male bullet connectors coming from the switches.

9.You need to cut a 2 lengths of wire or 1 if your gonna pull it apart and add female bullet end connectors to 1 end of each wire and connect with the ones on headlight unit you now need to earth these on the earth from your regular loom. You now need to connect up all the wires from the lights and the rectifier make sure all connections are good.

10. You are now done tuck all wiring away into a nice place maybe cover with cling film and give a light spray of wd40 to weatherproof it turn switches off and start your bike up turn switches on a your lights will be working.

IF WHILE DOING THIS YOU NEED ABIT OF EXTRA HELP OR FIND I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE OR LEFT SOMETHING OUT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME AND NOT COMMENT ON HERE AS IT WILL END UP FULL OF PEOPLE TALKING OR AN ARGUEMENT THANKYOU.

APPRECIATE I GAVE MY SLEEPTIME TO DO THIS AT 3AM SO DONT HATE ON IT ITS MY FIRST TUTORIAL AND I THINK I DONE ALRIGHT
armanib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light, lights, night rider, rectifier