Go Back   Pit Bike Club > PBC Info Base > PBC Projects

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 27-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
sixty-1hatch

Bike: modded crf50
125cc tuning

Just got the bike for 300.00 and every adjustment was out of wack. Searched around a learned alittle. This is how I started. I dialed the fuel screw, that is on the left side of bike right next to the idle screw, all the way in and turned it back out 1 1/2 turns. The bike would finally hold an idle, so i adjusted the idle to perfection. Started doing wide open throttle pulls and just listened and felt everything just like tuning a car. It would seem to slow down on top end so I added about an 1/8 turn or a little more and it pulls good now and doesn't smell nearly as rich. Oh yea I also, put in a new cr7hsa ngk plug. Is a 7 heat range ok, or should I go to a 6? Other than that the bike pretty much feels good now.

My real question is the bike starts first try every time but with no choke. At least I think, the choke is down so it's completely flat and not up in an L shape. Is that normal, I have been told that it's way too rich to start up without choke when cold. Any help is appreciated, as I am new to pit bikes. I am GREAT with cars so I'm not nearly as stupid as I sound, so please bear with me.
sixty-1hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
BRmitch

Bike: custom 125 pit
Re: 125cc tuning

no mate, cr7hsa is good, the most common ngk plug for pits id say.

and.. no mate, mine starts first kick without choke, bikes are differant in terms of starting... some start without choke, some with half, some with choke fully on...
BRmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
fersy

Bike: superstomp 125k

my bike won't start with the choke on, but no problem with it of. i notice petrol running out of the carb when i stopped so i adjust the float level and it dosn't do it now unless the bike is put on its stand. i turn the fuel supply of when ive stopped because when its on its stand the carb is tilted at an angle and put the petrol out of the overflow. so if i turn the bike off and leave it on its stand for a while,come back later and remove the spark plug it is wet from petrol which i assume is the petrol coming from the carb. because the petrol is already in the head i assume that is why it kicks first time without the choke, could be wrong so if anybody else can explain it, let me know
fersy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 04:24 AM   #4
sixty-1hatch

Well thats good to know. Thanks for confirmation!! Now I gotta figure out how to replace/repair the shift shaft. The kid who had it stuffed a diff. model shifter on and stripped all the splines on the end where the shifter bolts to the shaft. Any tips??

Old 28-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Despise
superpit1337

Bike: CRF70/CRF50base

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty-1hatch View Post
Well thats good to know. Thanks for confirmation!! Now I gotta figure out how to replace/repair the shift shaft. The kid who had it stuffed a diff. model shifter on and stripped all the splines on the end where the shifter bolts to the shaft. Any tips??

got a pic?
and what engine?
Despise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
sixty-1hatch

If I had to guess it's just a chinese 125cc motor. I don't think It's anything name brand.

BTW--I fixed this shifter, well kind of. Instead of replacing the shaft, I tack welded the little sleeve that comes with the shifter onto the shaft. It's holding for now. I decided not to put my money into the motor, as I think I'm gonna get a 150cc pirahna motor after I dog this one and learn some shit. Ill post pics later on the shifter, small tack on the end that will be easy enough to grind off when the time comes

Can you tell me how to size a chain if you look @ my bike? It's got an extended swing arm on crf50 frame, so I'm not sure what length or how to measure.