Pit Bike Club

Pit Bike Club (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/index.php)
-   The Workshop (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Front brake pads problem (https://www.pitbikeclub.co.uk/showthread.php?t=93293)

DinoJ 19-06-2013 03:34 PM

Re: Front brake pads problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukey28 (Post 891660)
Thank god!, although the smaller brake pad has no hole in it for anything to go through... how does that work..:confused:

Sorry for all the questions, im very new to all this :damnit:

The smaller pad sits in the caliper and when its on the disc it can't come out unless the pad is heavily worn its a common design on sliding calipers

dukey28 19-06-2013 03:38 PM

awesome cheers, all i have to do now is try and push the piston back in, its F**kin hard man, i've just read another thread about changing stomp front brake pads and it said DO NOT PULL THE BRAKE LEAVER with no pads in... my partner did as we didnt realise at the time that one had fell out! have we just F**ked the caliper up...? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

DinoJ 19-06-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukey28 (Post 891672)
awesome cheers, all i have to do now is try and push the piston back in, its F**kin hard man, i've just read another thread about changing stomp front brake pads and it said DO NOT PULL THE BRAKE LEAVER with no pads in... my partner did as we didnt realise at the time that one had fell out! have we just F**ked the caliper up...? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

No mate it'll be fine just push the piston back in with a pair of pipe grips or a G clamp or even pliers and put a piece of wood on the caliper so you don't mark it with whatever tool you're using :thumbs:

Roundy 19-06-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Doubt it, look at the caliper to see if there are any dents or if it's buckled, but cant really say without seeing it in person :thumbs:

DinoJ 19-06-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Also make sure you're pushing the piston squarely in otherwise it'll jam, if it has gone in cock eyed an jammed pump it out slightly then push it straight

dukey28 19-06-2013 03:59 PM

Thanks for the help, will give it a go, ill let you know if i've managed to do it :P :thumbs:

Dangle_kt 19-06-2013 04:10 PM

well you can pump it too far, and then you are stuffed cos the piston comes out, or it at least pushes out past the seal. As long as its not done that your ok.

DinoJ 19-06-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangle_kt (Post 891679)
well you can pump it too far, and then you are stuffed cos the piston comes out, or it at least pushes out past the seal. As long as its not done that your ok.

If this has happened its not the end of the world you'll just have to push the piston back in and bleed the brake

Dangle_kt 19-06-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinoJ (Post 891681)
If this has happened its not the end of the world you'll just have to push the piston back in and bleed the brake

If the seal doesn't get damaged...I hate bleeding brakes, especially chinese ones, and if he is struggling to know to puh a piston back can you imagine the questions about bleeding brakes?

(no offence OP)

DinoJ 19-06-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangle_kt (Post 891687)
If the seal doesn't get damaged...I hate bleeding brakes, especially chinese ones, and if he is struggling to know to puh a piston back can you imagine the questions about bleeding brakes?

(no offence OP)

Hmm I see your point bud I just didn't want the OP worrying that he'd broken his new toy.
Yep Chinese brakes are the worst its like they're designed to not be serviced and simply thrown away, I mean have you ever seen a seal kit for sale and as for bleeding them they're a nightmare its like the master cylinders are badly matched to the calipers not providing enough pumping force or pressure