Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > Pit Bike Discussion

Old 19-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
pitdogrider
Track Master

Bike: KURZ RT1 Z190
KURZ RT1 Z190 Installation review

Okay, so I have KURZ RT1 125 which I have now installed a Zongshen Z190 (ZS190), 5 Speed, electric start engine.
After being asked if I'd do a write-up of installation and performance review here goes.
FITMENT - fairly straight forward with it having the same mounting points as a standard pit bike engine.
The inlet manifold has its own unique design and is not interchangeable with any other pit bike inlet manifold as the engine stud holes are wider, the inlet manifold is angled and causes a problem on the KURZ RT1 as it ideally should be central, I got round this by installing an angled air filter which is still not great but suitable.
Most suitable carb was the Keihin PE28, I changed the jet main size to 118 for the best results. Also the main kick idle gear had slight play on the shaft so this was shimmed to a more acceptable tolerance, while the clutch cover was off I installed a pan magnet into the clutch cover to catch any loose fragments, need to look after that Daytona clutch.
I swapped the standard 5 pin CDI for an uprated easy start version as the advance is better but this may not have been needed as the Zongshen 190's have auto decompression heads and kick over easier than a 125cc and fires everytime.
Electric start function is nice and the starter motor and chain system is exeptional quality, a nice tight build that sounds smooth when starting, I say this because some pit bike engines can sound a bit 'clunky' when using Electric start.
Gears are 1 down and 4 up, which I like better (years of riding bikes like this), nuetral is a little bit tight to get in sometimes but then I've had the same on 50% of 1 down gearboxes.
Z190 is a 2 valve KLX head which a few years back would have meant the exhaust from the 125cc Honda head would not have fitted, good news is all the Chinese manufacturers have or are moving the KLX exhaust port to the same location as the Honda port, great news for us as this means the standard exhaust is a direct fitment.
The exhaust on the KURZ RT1 has no restrictions within but I would say on a higher output engine the bore diameter should be increased for maximum gains, a DEP System should sort this which I'll have very soon from DBRacing.
Gear lever is not a standard design as it is quite a wide engine and extra clearance is needed for the lever to clear the flywheel casing, the standard pit bike gear lever will not fit so the standard Z190 steel one it is for now.
Engine bash plate also did not bolt back on as the bash plate mount holes on the Z190 head were in different locations, I've not got one at the minute and if not off road shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Oil cooler fitment was a bit of a pain having not fitted one of these before but now I have its simple, you have to use 90 degree angled fitments onto the engine and use a few cable ties to clear the exhaust pipe. For 2 days I suffered with oil spurting out the crank breather pipe, this was all down to the oil cooler banjo bolts not lining up properly with the 90 degree hoses, I packed the banjo bolts out with extra copper washers to line them up better and hey presto all fixed.
Front sprocket cover also required the back edge trimming off as it interfeared with the frame, I marked this out next to the shape of the frame and using only a hacksaw and Dremmel tool made a nice neat job of it.
The Z190 external clutch arm is also on a spline meaning it is removable allowing you to change the angle to suit the standard clutch cable.
Keihin PE28 carb will require a 115mm exposed inner throttle cable, the KURZ RT1 standard VM22 carb has a 125mm exposed cable which is too long even with adjustment.
PERFORMANCE- its the best pit bike engine I've known for road use by far and I've done Lifan 120cc, YX125cc, YX140cc, YX150cc, YX170cc, and Z155 and nothing comes close in terms of power, speed and comfortable riding.
Gears last a lot longer as it has a wider ratio gearbox and with the 5th gear you get another pull to take you up to a genuine 75mph (not 100mph like most dreamers will claim), this is plenty fast enough for these bikes and you don't need any more than this. Acceleration...... well, I've not timed it or anything but you can pull up the front end in 3rd gear at 30mph and keep it there for as long as your capable of doing so, first and second gear are just evil and I don't even bother using them to pop it up on the back wheel.
Would I buy and install it again? YES and without a second thought.
pitdogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
Bonio79
On Stabilizers

Bike: Crf50 pit bike
Re: KURZ RT1 Z190 Installation review

Thanks for the review it's much appreciated but all that extra work sounds a little scary , I wouldn't have a clue how to shim a gear box , you sound like u know your way around an engine , I need that engine on my Kurz but I wouldn't know where to start.
Bonio79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
pitdogrider
Track Master

Been a few weeks since last post, since then done a few more enhancements to the Kurz RT1, had frame powder coated black, fitted new 2017 front fender which is crf110 style, fitted a KOYO speedometer, decided to add mirrors as been using it a fair amount just lately and they're a big help in traffic, added super moto wheels, new reinforced handguards to get the 2017 SM look which looks loads better than the 2016 model, added a stand safety cut out switch so it won't start with the stand down (bad experience a few years back), fitted hazard lights just for the fun of it, and best bit of all I finally fitted the new Dep Pipes S7 exhaust system, looks the dogs gonards and as the internal bore is slightly wider it has increased power by a noticeable difference, I thought the 190 engine was restricted by the standard pipe and glad to say £300 later I was correct.
I'll get some pics up when I get 5 mins free.
Old 21-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
Graeme1198sp
Novice

Bike: YCF 190cc Road

Interesting post! I’m looking at upgrading an YCF with a bigger engine ...how much did you pay for the new engine?
Where did you find your speedo? I’m looking for a decent one at the moment but I’m not sure of how it’s connected up! I’m just using a normal bike speedo at the moment but it’s not great.
Graeme1198sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:34 PM   #5
Garyeff
Novice

Bike: Kurz 125

G
Garyeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Garyeff
Novice

Hello mate I’m doing the exact same thing you’ve done. Do you know if any exhaust that fit as I don’t have money yet for dep exhaust
Garyeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
pitdogrider
Track Master

The DEP S7r was the best system I found, anything else had an internal bore that was restricting the engine, plus it sounds like a beast with the DB killer removed.
Old 24-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Leo.H
On Stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdogrider View Post
Been a few weeks since last post, since then done a few more enhancements to the Kurz RT1, had frame powder coated black, fitted new 2017 front fender which is crf110 style, fitted a KOYO speedometer, decided to add mirrors as been using it a fair amount just lately and they're a big help in traffic, added super moto wheels, new reinforced handguards to get the 2017 SM look which looks loads better than the 2016 model, added a stand safety cut out switch so it won't start with the stand down (bad experience a few years back), fitted hazard lights just for the fun of it, and best bit of all I finally fitted the new Dep Pipes S7 exhaust system, looks the dogs gonards and as the internal bore is slightly wider it has increased power by a noticeable difference, I thought the 190 engine was restricted by the standard pipe and glad to say £300 later I was correct.
I'll get some pics up when I get 5 mins free.
Hi mate ive been looking at these 190s for abit now and have just recently purchased a lmx rfz 140 to do up.Do you know if this would be a direct fit into the frame or would i have to make some adjustments
Leo.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Jono916
Wheelie King

Bike: klx 110 mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.H View Post
Hi mate ive been looking at these 190s for abit now and have just recently purchased a lmx rfz 140 to do up.Do you know if this would be a direct fit into the frame or would i have to make some adjustments
it'll fit
Jono916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
Stefgil
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdogrider View Post
Okay, so I have KURZ RT1 125 which I have now installed a Zongshen Z190 (ZS190), 5 Speed, electric start engine.
After being asked if I'd do a write-up of installation and performance review here goes.
FITMENT - fairly straight forward with it having the same mounting points as a standard pit bike engine.
The inlet manifold has its own unique design and is not interchangeable with any other pit bike inlet manifold as the engine stud holes are wider, the inlet manifold is angled and causes a problem on the KURZ RT1 as it ideally should be central, I got round this by installing an angled air filter which is still not great but suitable.
Most suitable carb was the Keihin PE28, I changed the jet main size to 118 for the best results. Also the main kick idle gear had slight play on the shaft so this was shimmed to a more acceptable tolerance, while the clutch cover was off I installed a pan magnet into the clutch cover to catch any loose fragments, need to look after that Daytona clutch.
I swapped the standard 5 pin CDI for an uprated easy start version as the advance is better but this may not have been needed as the Zongshen 190's have auto decompression heads and kick over easier than a 125cc and fires everytime.
Electric start function is nice and the starter motor and chain system is exeptional quality, a nice tight build that sounds smooth when starting, I say this because some pit bike engines can sound a bit 'clunky' when using Electric start.
Gears are 1 down and 4 up, which I like better (years of riding bikes like this), nuetral is a little bit tight to get in sometimes but then I've had the same on 50% of 1 down gearboxes.
Z190 is a 2 valve KLX head which a few years back would have meant the exhaust from the 125cc Honda head would not have fitted, good news is all the Chinese manufacturers have or are moving the KLX exhaust port to the same location as the Honda port, great news for us as this means the standard exhaust is a direct fitment.
The exhaust on the KURZ RT1 has no restrictions within but I would say on a higher output engine the bore diameter should be increased for maximum gains, a DEP System should sort this which I'll have very soon from DBRacing.
Gear lever is not a standard design as it is quite a wide engine and extra clearance is needed for the lever to clear the flywheel casing, the standard pit bike gear lever will not fit so the standard Z190 steel one it is for now.
Engine bash plate also did not bolt back on as the bash plate mount holes on the Z190 head were in different locations, I've not got one at the minute and if not off road shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Oil cooler fitment was a bit of a pain having not fitted one of these before but now I have its simple, you have to use 90 degree angled fitments onto the engine and use a few cable ties to clear the exhaust pipe. For 2 days I suffered with oil spurting out the crank breather pipe, this was all down to the oil cooler banjo bolts not lining up properly with the 90 degree hoses, I packed the banjo bolts out with extra copper washers to line them up better and hey presto all fixed.
Front sprocket cover also required the back edge trimming off as it interfeared with the frame, I marked this out next to the shape of the frame and using only a hacksaw and Dremmel tool made a nice neat job of it.
The Z190 external clutch arm is also on a spline meaning it is removable allowing you to change the angle to suit the standard clutch cable.
Keihin PE28 carb will require a 115mm exposed inner throttle cable, the KURZ RT1 standard VM22 carb has a 125mm exposed cable which is too long even with adjustment.
PERFORMANCE- its the best pit bike engine I've known for road use by far and I've done Lifan 120cc, YX125cc, YX140cc, YX150cc, YX170cc, and Z155 and nothing comes close in terms of power, speed and comfortable riding.
Gears last a lot longer as it has a wider ratio gearbox and with the 5th gear you get another pull to take you up to a genuine 75mph (not 100mph like most dreamers will claim), this is plenty fast enough for these bikes and you don't need any more than this. Acceleration...... well, I've not timed it or anything but you can pull up the front end in 3rd gear at 30mph and keep it there for as long as your capable of doing so, first and second gear are just evil and I don't even bother using them to pop it up on the back wheel.
Would I buy and install it again? YES and without a second thought.
Was all the wiring the same. I've got a new 190 engine but no connectors installed.
Stefgil is offline   Reply With Quote