Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Club General > Off Topic Discussion

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
_-Ch0sen 0ne-_
Wheelie King

Bike: 08 YZ250F Braap
Are the police allowed to seize and crush a bike without a warning?

Okay so my local police force's facebook page just put up a picture saying that no type of off road vehicle is allowed to be driven off road or on forest roads without permission from the landowner. Here http://www.facebook.com/grampianpoliceforce?ref=ts

I ride at this this place we call "Boars Head" and its just a mass of woods with many tracks and enduros throughout, there is also a yearly enduro held there too.

Last time i was there a man who said he lived there approached us and said no motorbikes are allowed here and after a hefty discussion he eventually left and said he phoned the police. We stayed there late and no police had arrived.

But if the police did arrive and happened to catch us, , what is the most they could do? I have never been given a warning by the police or had any bother. But my worst fear is my bike getting crushed. Surely they would just give us a warning and tell us to go? Or do they have the power to just take them off us?
_-Ch0sen 0ne-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
bigs#8
Super King

Bike: Two bros klx
Re: Are the police allowed to seize and crush a bike without a warning?

They should give you a warning (section 59) that lasts 12months and if you get stopped again within that time they have the power to take bike
bigs#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
phil.s
PBC Veteran

Bike: self build

section 59 only comes into to play now if its off road if you get cought on any sort of public highway including public foot paths they can just take it off you and most of the time they are crushed.
were quite lucky round here now as we had a problem with loads of bikes being ridden on the streets so the police have allowed some waste land next to the canal to be used as a track and tell all the kids round here to ride down there.
phil.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
phil.s
PBC Veteran

Bike: self build

i know a lad a few years back who had to hand over his kx to the cops and they didnt even catch him on it he had been riding it round his estate and someone reported him they turned up and said untill its sorted they was taking his bike.they couldnt crush it as there wasnt any proof BUT they did him with recovery fee's and impound cost's he couldnt even take it to court to get the cost's wrote of as the cops had a reasonable legit reason to remove the bike from him.
phil.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
bigs#8
Super King

Bike: Two bros klx

Just ride it legally to make sure
bigs#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
spexx
Super King

Bike: Honda Cub 70

Time to search for a road legal v5
spexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #7
oliver_125
PBC Legend

Bike: shineray.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by spexx View Post
Time to search for a road legal v5
Hes about 12 haha

an they should always give you a warning. Even when i rode on a duel carrageway i got a warning an only got a section 59 after 2 more times an they still never took my bike. They just said still to a quiet farm road orsimilar. They were happy i had armour an a helmet on tho
oliver_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #8
sg110
Wheelie King

Bike: Thumpstar 110

Apparently they can. I got a warning the other week but it is ridiculous! They came to my door and asked my sister if my Mum was in as I was under 16 at this point and she said no. So the Police told my sister to tell my mum next time I or one of my mates was caught in the woods we used to ride in, our bike would be seized. Sorry but asking to pass messages on, how unprofessional is that? The Police had no problem whatsoever to where we were riding as it was out the way but a dog walker was being a c0ck and kept complaining until they had to do something.
sg110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
tandy
Wheelie King

Bike: CRF150R SM

It's the same principle for any vehicle, if you are on a public highway, footpath or public property without tax, insurance and MOT then the vehicle is not roadworthy and may be seized without warning under the road traffic act

If you have been riding in public woods then I'm afraid you deserve to get caught, as you are doing nothing but giving pit bikes a bad name as if we don't already have a bad enough stigma attached to them courtesy of Chav and travellers
tandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
lillango
Super King

Bike: not enough

ride legally best thing to do, i used to ride illegally because it was a lot cheaper, they never caught me but they built up a case of CCTV pics over a long period then took me in, i admitted the charges bla bla bla now i would just rather spend more money being legit. by mine now they will take your bike even if your pushing it, no warnings, not even a form to get it back just gone.
lillango is offline   Reply With Quote