Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > MiniBike Supermoto

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

• New to supermoto minis
    Hi Guys, thanks for letting me join the forum. Both my son and I race motocross but due to the non stop rain here in...
  • Remaining Handle Anthony Castonzo Known as PFF Hig...
    In accordance in the direction of Professional Soccer Awareness, Indianapolis Colts starting off still left handle...
  • Carb Tuning
    Hi all, I have a cw140 here and I'm noticing that it hisses too much on kickstart, and also pops and bangs on...

Old 15-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Number39
Novice

Pit Bike Supermoto or Mini Gp?

Hi All,

First of all as you can probably see I am new to the site so hello! About a month or so ago on a random night out with a friend we ended up mini moto racing at Hullavington which was awesome, that kind of got us hooked and we have been back several times since....

We both love biking....especially Moto GP and the TT, so, it is time to get racing. The question is what machine and class?

What are the pro's and con's of each of the above? I like mini moto but would like something a little bigger.

Oh yer, we are 25 and from Gloucestershire.

Cheers
Number39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Dangle_kt
PBC Legend

Re: Pit Bike Supermoto or Mini Gp?

well this is a pit bike forum, so you are going to get biased advise here...

BUT

I;ve ridden both and much prefer pit bikes.

I couldn't fit well on a minimoto, and deffo couldn't roll my ankles in to get enough clearance in the corners - my feet were always in the way. I'm not very bendy so the pitbike suited me better.

Check out NMRRC on youtube, plenty of great close racing, and tracks all over the place.

Chat to the lads who own monsterpro, they sell bikes that are ready to race, and run the NMRRC so the classes all match up well.

FAB also run a series but they run sealed engines so its a bit of a faff.

Lucky mx seem to sell bikes people rate highly too.

Hully run a few minibike nights, get yourself along and see if you can blag a quick lap on a pit bike to see what you think - but remember riding indoor is alot different to outdoor - cos there are no tyre walls outdoor so your lines can be a lot different.
Dangle_kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Gazb
Burning Rubber

Bike: Monsterpro m2SM

I think he means the new (to the uk) mini gp from Spain? I'd go for the pit bike. It will cost less when you crash mainly due to fairing damage! although the mini gp looks great fun! If I had a young un I think I'd go for the mini gp though! Slightly contradicting myself!! ha
Gazb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Number39
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazb View Post
I think he means the new (to the uk) mini gp from Spain? I'd go for the pit bike. It will cost less when you crash mainly due to fairing damage! although the mini gp looks great fun! If I had a young un I think I'd go for the mini gp though! Slightly contradicting myself!! ha
That's them, something like the Stomp Mini GP Bike.

I appreciate the answer may be biased due to the forum I am on but wondered if anyone had to make the same decision and chose pit bikes, if so why?

How many people do you generally get competing in the different PB Supermoto classes at each round? The video's I have watched on the net seem to be quite a good turnout with the 140's being the most popular, why are they more popular than the 160's?

Thanks.
Number39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
baddad
Super King

Bike: Monster Pro M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number39 View Post
That's them, something like the Stomp Mini GP Bike.

I appreciate the answer may be biased due to the forum I am on but wondered if anyone had to make the same decision and chose pit bikes, if so why?

How many people do you generally get competing in the different PB Supermoto classes at each round? The video's I have watched on the net seem to be quite a good turnout with the 140's being the most popular, why are they more popular than the 160's?

Thanks.
Hi mate

Myself and Mart35 run Monster Pro UK and are part of the NMRRC

If you would like to try out a Pitbike for size come along to one of the track days and we will get you out on the Demonstration bikes so you can see for yourself. I can also arrange a ride on both the Mini Motos or a Minigp bike (we are also agents or the Hawkmoto gp mini bike)

A lot of the NMRRC riders will be there so you can have a chat with them and talk about all the pros and cons of each class.

If you join the National Mini bike Road Racing Championship Facebook page or add me Alan Lord we always post when we are having the demo / track days but be warned you will be addicted very quickly, just ask the guys on here, awful lot of fun for very little money.

The 160 class did start off strong but a lot of people have switched to 140s so that they can ride in both classes for the extra £15
baddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Dangle_kt
PBC Legend

oh write - I thought that was a typo cos he only mentiones minimotos after in the main message.

I'd love to try the minigp bike - I love the pits, but I miss not having a proper tank to brace my legs on when braking. Means my sparrow arms get knackered really quick.

I'm deffo going to look at a minigp bike when they start to pop up 2nd hand.
Dangle_kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
baddad
Super King

Bike: Monster Pro M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
oh write - I thought that was a typo cos he only mentiones minimotos after in the main message.

I'd love to try the minigp bike - I love the pits, but I miss not having a proper tank to brace my legs on when braking. Means my sparrow arms get knackered really quick.

I'm deffo going to look at a minigp bike when they start to pop up 2nd hand.
The 125 is aimed at the Junior market for a new class which will contain Junior Pitbikes and Minigp bikes - We think the 125 will hold up against the standard 140s as its revs higher and has a 5 speed box but we will know more once we get some comparison testing done. The 125 version is £1495

The IMR Bike (or similar ) is basically the same as our (Monster Pro) frame and swing arm forks shock etc but with Extended subframe, different tank fitting, clip ons and rear sets and will be approx £1295 inc a yx140 lump.

The Plan is to have either

A). two classes of juniors ie 125s for the youngest class and 140's for the older class

or

B). one junior class up to 140's.

This is going to depend heavily on numbers riding and also the insurance companies restrictions on ages and cc capacity

There's no reason why the 140 versions cant be run in the Pit bike classes by adults as they are basically the same bike but from my personal experience they are a little bit too small for a fat git like me
baddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Trick
Training

Another one for pitbikes here!! I'm 24 and I did what your doing now. Best thing to do is go to a practise day when monster pro are there and have ago on the different sized bikes etc and see what you think. It's free to have ago on their stuff so there isn't a better way to help you make your mind up! It's what me and 3 other mates did and we ordered 4 pretty much straight away.
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote