Go Back   Pit Bike Club > Pit Bike Discussion & Reviews > MiniBike Supermoto

Latest discussions at Pit Bike Club:

• New to supermoto minis
    Hi Guys, thanks for letting me join the forum. Both my son and I race motocross but due to the non stop rain here in...
  • Remaining Handle Anthony Castonzo Known as PFF Hig...
    In accordance in the direction of Professional Soccer Awareness, Indianapolis Colts starting off still left handle...
  • Carb Tuning
    Hi all, I have a cw140 here and I'm noticing that it hisses too much on kickstart, and also pops and bangs on...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2024, 01:09 PM   #1
Stormin_norman07
Novice

Bike: Sy moto 140
New to supermoto minis

Hi Guys, thanks for letting me join the forum.

Both my son and I race motocross but due to the non stop rain here in the UK so much motocross has been cancelled so we both thought we would try our hand at minibike racing.

I have purchased 2 bikes. Both purchased second hand with all of the modifications needed (wheels, oil catching tray etc) already done for us both to start racing. However, coming from a motocross background I am finding all of this pitbike stuff a bit confusing.

My bike is a (I think) a SY Moto 140cc. My sons is a 125cc (no idea what manufacturer) engine inside a Bam Bam frame. His bike is a semi automatic and mine is a manual gearbox albeit with gears that are just "4 up".

After doing a few races and asking questions around the paddock I'm even more confused than what I was previously.

I have been told my engine will fit straight into my sons and when he needs to go into a higher class (140cc) I can just buy an engine and it will bolt straight in. I have been told I can take a Stomp engine and bolt straight into my frame if I want or if I wanted to enter the open class I can get a tuned engine and bolt straight into my bike.

Coming from a motocross background this just all seems strange to me.

Are all these 140cc engines (stomp, sy moto etc) basically the exact same? Are they all manufactured in China but just have a different stamp on them?

If I need parts for either bike do I just buy parts for a 125cc or 140cc pit bike or do I have to buy for the specific bike (like motocross KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki etc) or do all parts just "crossover".

What parts are recommended to keep as spares? For motocross I pretty much have a spares shop that I haul around to races with lol 😆. I've been told these little pit bikes don't need massive amounts of maintenance but obviously coming from motocross this isn't something I'm used to as I'm forever changing pistons, brake pads, chains, sprockets, plugs etc. What should I invest in for both bikes that I should keep on hand?

Is there an owners manual anywhere that gives torque specs etc? I did see a Haynes manual online but it only went up to 2016 so this is likely way out of date. I like having an owners manual as I'm super fussy about torque specs, loctite etc.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a total newbie to these wee machines and since I have just bought two of them I'd like to get to know them as best I can. With the motocross bikes I can pretty much strip them down and do all rebuild work etc myself but these little bikes seem very confusing as one engine seems to fit another frame and everything seems to be similar.

Also, is there a website (UK based preferably) that is a well stocked site with a quick delivery for parts that everyone uses?

Thanks so much in advance ☺️
Stormin_norman07 is offline   Reply With Quote